Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why make quilting so hard? >

Why make quilting so hard?

Why make quilting so hard?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I usually cut my binding on tbe bias and 2- 7/8 inches - because that is the width that "works" with the leftmost needle setting on my machine.

I do have to do a test sample witb every quilt sanxwich to see if i need to makd any adjustments.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I always make mine bias, its just easier to handle.
I usually make mine bias, too, and I think that makes them a little neater. And there was an interesting discussion on this forum a couple of years ago about not pressing the binding in half before sewing it on. You fold it as you sew it on. Seems counterintuitive, but my binding is not nearly as crooked as it was when I pressed it first.

And Onebyone is spot on. I'm not going to do it anymore if it stops being enjoyable.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM

I think everyone has their own approach. I love to fully research new things before I jump into them. So, as a beginning quilter, I've spent a fair bit of time reading, watching quilting shows, etc. I have very limited time to spend on my hobbies and creative pursuits, and I would be super disappointed to spend a bunch of time on something that turned out poorly. So it's worth it to me to take the time to do it as well as I can.

That being said, I enjoy the process AND the final product. I definitely wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
I usually make mine bias, too, and I think that makes them a little neater. And there was an interesting discussion on this forum a couple of years ago about not pressing the binding in half before sewing it on. You fold it as you sew it on. Seems counterintuitive, but my binding is not nearly as crooked as it was when I pressed it first

And Onebyone is spot on. I'm not going to do it anymore if it stops being enjoyable.
I don't press mine either. It tends to warp it a bit.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

My mojo comes and goes and because I quilt primarily for my own enjoyment, I just accept the loss of mojo. I figure when it comes back I will enjoy it again. So, anything I do is very enjoyable. I don't quilt for money, no pressure from anyone, I gift what I want, etc. I do try to do the best job I can, but, that is enjoyable to me. YMMV
Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM

Yep. That's what I do! I enjoy and am amazed at the quilts I see at quilt shows, but I don't demand that kind of talent of myself.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I use 4" wide binding, straight cut double fold. Looks like a nice border on the quilt edge. I get compliment on my wide binding a lot. Some say it's great but it's not how binding is suppose to be and did I know that? LOL
Old 01-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Another vote for your outlook for making quilting easy! My quilts are usually made of scraps, and I get compliments on them.
I can't see making a quilt that takes forever to get done; cut tiny pieces, an intricate pattern, ect, ect. It is too much for me. I still hope to make some of the old favorites; 9 Path, Irish Chain, Chinese Ladder, or whatever the real name is and another Log Cabin. Some more of the old favorites. '
Good luck to everyone on whatever you are working on now!
Mariah
Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use 4" wide binding, straight cut double fold. Looks like a nice border on the quilt edge. I get compliment on my wide binding a lot. Some say it's great but it's not how binding is suppose to be and did I know that? LOL
So then when you trim your sandwich after quilting to accommodate that wide binding, I'm presuming you are not cutting right to the edge of your top, but out a bit to fill in that wider binding. When I'm ready to sew on binding, I trim 1/4" beyond the edge of finished quilt, so that the binding has some fill in it.....my binding strip is 2 1/2" wide, then folded.

so how much excess do you leave to fill that size binding? I bet it does make a good frame for the quilt.

and, I agree with your definition of quilting! Overdoing, over analyzing, over prep work......too much like work, I do this to relieve stress, not create it!

Last edited by Geri B; 01-04-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Yes please! Quilting is FUN!!! Don't stress over the little mistakes - you will get better at it.