Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why make quilting so hard? >

Why make quilting so hard?

Why make quilting so hard?

Old 01-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

so how much excess do you leave to fill that size binding?
I don't go to much trouble about it.
After sewing the binding to the quilt I turn it until the edge of the quilt goes to the middle of the binding. I don't try to stuff it. I've noticed not stuffed binding last longer on quilts then the really full binding. Of course a border is needed on the quilt so the binding won't cut off any points or run into the block pattern. Here is a fast donation quilt I made using the wide binding.[ATTACH=CONFIG]564959[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-6-002.jpg  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

The picture is a fast stripe square pattern from Jenny Doan.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-04-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:46 PM

KISMIF....Keep It Simple, Make It Fun
Old 01-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I like it when my points match and when the seams line up, so I spend a lot of time on the prep work. I find that correct cutting, pressing and a good 1/4" seam help ME with the final project. So I do all those things even if they seem a bit tedious at times. That said, I have learned where my tolerance for "mistakes" lies. I know when to take out a "booboo" and when it's OK to leave it in.

When it comes to quilting, I like pucker-free lines, so I spend the extra time doing it right. Admittedly, that is my LEAST favorite part of the process and I doubt that I will EVER like it. However, it doesn't mean I am going to slam the three layers together just to keep going. Puckered quilting would make me much more unhappy.

Probably explains why I have a huge stack of tops that need quilting. But still, I am having a ball.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM

I look at my first couple of quilts and cringe on the inside because I can see the mistakes. But on the outside I wear a huge smile because they grace beds in my home, are used, admired and appreciated.

There are days when my quilting doesn't feel like 'fun'--like when I am working against a deadline, or trying to get my project to match the picture in my head, or trying to solve a self induced problem. But the satisfaction I feel after finding the solution, or finally folding, wrapping and gifting that product of my imagination--oh my there is no comparison!!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:40 AM

This is so true. I made a donation quilt recently - a QAYG - and it's no prize winner, I assure you, but... I was told by my friend that she wouldn't have given it away because it had too many mistakes. I on the other hand told her that this quilt was going to a person who lived on the street and would hopefully make him/her a littler warmer. In addition I feel like I have learned by my mistakes and hopefully the next quilt will be better - in fact I know it will.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sew some fabric together following a pattern. Put a piece of batting between quilt top and backing. Secure anyway that is easy. Sew the layers together to hold. Sew a binding to hide the raw edges. Done. If you think in terms of simple steps the process becomes more fun. Good workmanship comes with practice and knowing what works for you with experience. Don't agonize over how you messed up or how it looks. Keep going to finish then start another.
I was a regular FB sewing/quilting related group member, but have stayed away for a month or so now. I felt like posters could not make one single decision on their own....That doesn't seem to be a good way to learn if you don't venture out on your own using your own decision making process. So I don't frequent those groups now...I like the air fryer or instant pot groups...for now.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by mario1360 View Post
I am doing ok with the piecing, batting and even some quilting (in the ditch of course) but I am having a miserable time with the binding. Perhaps 2.5 in is too narrow and the binding fabric is often crooked?.....maybe I dont square off properly? well I will just keep on practicing....thank you for the encouragement.
Your binding can be any width you wish. Just make sure there is enough batting to fill up the binding.
Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a good tutorial in their block magazine about finishing bindings. But they only work with 2.5 inch fabric.
I usually trim the batting a little before I put on the binding, but leave an inch or so of batting and backing. Then I sew the binding onto the quilt with the usual 1/4 inch seam. Now I put my ruler on the sewing line and measure from there. Usually 3/8 of an inch will fill up a 2 1/2 inch binding. If your binding was three inches, you need more on the outside of your sewing line. By measuring from the sewing line, the binding always has the same width to cover all around the quilt.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 AM

AnnieF I think I am like you, only a beginner. Took my first class at Joanne Fabrics where they included basic tools for the price of the class. Then I took two more classes from a sewing shop with a woman who was SOOOOO knowledgable. I went beyond the table runner to make all of the squares in a sampler book. They look great pinned individually on the cork wall. But family and holidays took me away (and a little fear that the final project might not be as great as the model in the shop). I am teaching as well as hobbying, but the satisfaction from quilting can't be beat!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 AM

6 thumbs up AnnieF.