Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

A question on here brought up another question for me. Many of my quilting books, including the reference guides, give instructions for every width bias binding except 2 1/2 inch, using the bias methods. MOST people I know use 2 1/2 inch binding, so what's with these authors leaving out the most obvious and commonly used size from their instructions? I have long since made a laminated sheet of the instructions that *I* use, but am just wondering. This has got to be annoying to beginners.

I refer to instructions for making continuous binding from squares. I since discovered Shelley Roger's mathematical instructions, so can calculate it out myself for either rectangles or squares.
    Current piecing: Zig Zag quilt & LOTL (HSTs done, assembling units)
    Hand piecing project: Apple core (TOP IS DONE!!!! Yay!)

Thank you for the link...I have wanted written directions, with pictures for the longest time. Very good instructions.

MTS
    Banned
    Me thinks beginners have enough to worry about without adding continuous binding to the list.

You really only need bias binding if there are curves on the quilt edge or a striped fabric you want to highlight.

I just looked quickly at five (pretty recently published) quilt books sitting in a reachable pile (on the floor), and none of them suggest doing the binding that way.

Otherwise, one can do a killer binding using straight cuts of fabrics.

I cut my straight binding 2-1/4" (as do most people I know).

I don't really think it's a big problem.

Blog Entries
    Ah, yes, the Dread Pirate! I've been using her instructions for at least 4 or 5 years. I think her instructions are very easy to follow. Having said that, I only use bias binding on curved edges or rounded corners. everything else I cut at 2.25" WOF
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I only use bias when doing curves, odd shapes, or rounded corners, and make it 2". All other binding I do on straight grain at 2 1/4".

I generally only use bias when the fabric has a linear design that I don't want to look so rigid. I usually do 2-1/4 binding also, it's plenty wide enough for my W&N quilts, or ones I do with polar fleece back & no batting.

Awesome link, though, adding it to my 'how-to's for when I *do* need it!

I never cut my binding on the bias either unless I have curves, or Im using a stripe. I cut my binding 2.25 always

Thanks so much for this link. I usually use straight binding but am glad to have this info at my fingertips. I'd like to do some striped fabric as bias binding. I always learn something reading QB.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    What a helpful link! Going to print this out. Just bought a bias binding tool (like the one used in the Missouri Quilt Company tut) so anxious to give it a whirl.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.