Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding? >

Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Why many books have no instructions for 2 1/2 inch binding?

A question on here brought up another question for me. Many of my quilting books, including the reference guides, give instructions for every width bias binding except 2 1/2 inch, using the bias methods. MOST people I know use 2 1/2 inch binding, so what's with these authors leaving out the most obvious and commonly used size from their instructions? I have long since made a laminated sheet of the instructions that *I* use, but am just wondering. This has got to be annoying to beginners.

I refer to instructions for making continuous binding from squares. I since discovered Shelley Roger's mathematical instructions, so can calculate it out myself for either rectangles or squares.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Thank you for the link...I have wanted written directions, with pictures for the longest time. Very good instructions.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM
MTS
Banned

Me thinks beginners have enough to worry about without adding continuous binding to the list.

You really only need bias binding if there are curves on the quilt edge or a striped fabric you want to highlight.

I just looked quickly at five (pretty recently published) quilt books sitting in a reachable pile (on the floor), and none of them suggest doing the binding that way.

Otherwise, one can do a killer binding using straight cuts of fabrics.

I cut my straight binding 2-1/4" (as do most people I know).

I don't really think it's a big problem.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Ah, yes, the Dread Pirate! I've been using her instructions for at least 4 or 5 years. I think her instructions are very easy to follow. Having said that, I only use bias binding on curved edges or rounded corners. everything else I cut at 2.25" WOF
Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM

I only use bias when doing curves, odd shapes, or rounded corners, and make it 2". All other binding I do on straight grain at 2 1/4".
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM

I generally only use bias when the fabric has a linear design that I don't want to look so rigid. I usually do 2-1/4 binding also, it's plenty wide enough for my W&N quilts, or ones I do with polar fleece back & no batting.

Awesome link, though, adding it to my 'how-to's for when I *do* need it!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM

I never cut my binding on the bias either unless I have curves, or Im using a stripe. I cut my binding 2.25 always
Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks so much for this link. I usually use straight binding but am glad to have this info at my fingertips. I'd like to do some striped fabric as bias binding. I always learn something reading QB.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM

What a helpful link! Going to print this out. Just bought a bias binding tool (like the one used in the Missouri Quilt Company tut) so anxious to give it a whirl.