Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not use 1/2" seam? >

Why not use 1/2" seam?

Why not use 1/2" seam?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM

I have been in search of the 'perfect' 1/4" seam. Perfecting seam allowances is always good. I find that increasing the stitch per inch ratio to 18 to 21 stitches works to ensure no unraveling. I also found that using a 'starter' piece when sewing helps with the beginning of the seam. It not only cuts down on thread waste but does not give me wonky starts on my stitched piece. I use the strip stick from http://goo.gl/GiqO6l to iron my seams open, unless called for in a quilt pattern to do otherwise. I am a starch-a-holic as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:06 PM

You can use any seam size you want. If it makes you feel better for the first couple of simple quilts you make go right ahead. When you feel more secure in your quilting you could try the 1/4 in seam. Have fun with it.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM

In my little mind sewing with 1/2" seam allowances is a waste of fabric......and as mentioned, doing a multi pieced block could cause way to much bulk and not precise......as for clothing using 5/8"......have you looked at clothing seams lately? With the proper stitch per inch should not be a problem of shredding seams.....jmho
Old 06-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Oh that's going to be cool when it's done. I did one like that for my neighbor's baby, but it looks completely different with all the bold colors.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I use 1/2" seams on flannel, but I'm finally more comfortable with 1/4" on everything else. It was a struggle, since I usually sewed garments in the past--going from 5/8" to 1/4" was so strange!
I had a lot of trouble with this too. I just automatically sewed a 5/8 seam because that is what I was used to when I made clothes. I also had a lot of trouble understanding that I didn't need to pin pieces together. Small pieces don't seem to need the pinning like patterns for making dresses did!

But, I did learn. Now when I try to make a bigger seam, it just feels strange.

Dina
Old 06-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Really like what you are doing so far ~ looks like it will be a beautiful quilt. Most patterns assume you will be using 1/4 inch seams. If you use 1/2 inch seams the quilt will be smaller than the given size (if you are using a pattern). How much smaller will depend on how many seams are in the quilt.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM

I am another one who uses 1/2 inch seams on charity quilts made with squares or strips. This is especially the case with children's quilts, because I expect more wear and washing.

I have had the experience of piecing charity quilts where the cutting of the pieces was not the most accurate. Having a larger seam allowance gives a person enough fabric to make adjustments in the sewing when necessary.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

Another thing about the 1/4" seam, if you ever plan to make quilts from a pattern Quilt Patterns are written/designed with 1/4" seams. So it is recommended to find, learn how to sew that nice, straight, accurate 1/4" seam. If you plan to always just sew patches together use the size that you want, consistency is still important to make things match, fit
Old 07-01-2015, 04:07 AM

Most patterns use 1/4", but if you're doing your own pattern, you can use the 1/2". I use the 1/4" because it's what most patterns require. Then press to the side. I haven't had any difficulty with this except for a couple of baby quilts that the person washed the dickens out of...nothing much would have survived her treatment of them.
Easiest way to check your 1/4" seam is to sew on an index card. Those lines are precisely the 1/4" you need. Make sure you are using the correct weight thread, too...I found out thread width makes a difference. Just say in'.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Really it's a pain to cut block pieces the size to use 1/2 seams when all are measured for 1/4. A good balanced short stitch, good fabric, quality thread and consistent seam and your quilt should never fall apart in the first wash.