Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY?

Why does the US cut by yards and here in Canada we cut by the meter? It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)

It must depend on the measurement method each country uses.

Power Poster
    Because Canada (and many other countries) has most of their measurements based on the metric system.

Many of the USA measurements are based on feet/yards and pounds/ounces.

I really do not know WHY we have different systems. Habit and custom, I guess. Because that's what the English used.

It is always wise to know what system something is being measured in.

There are even "different" ounces and tons.

Yes, a meter is "longer/more" - but I feel it is up to the buyer to know what he/she is getting/ordering.

Approximate comparison: 1 meter = 39.37 inches

1 yard = 0.9144 meter
    1 meter = 1.0936 yards

one inch = 2.54 cm
    one cm = 0.3937 inch

Quote Originally Posted by Aully
    Why does the US cut by yards and here in Canada we cut by the meter? It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)
    I suspect if you did all the conversions, both measurement and currency, you might discover some surprises in the cost of getting that "extra" fabric. :lol:

I agree my friends in Canada pay alot more for a meter than I do a yard sometimes as much as three times what I pay

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I suspect if you did all the conversions, both measurement and currency, you might discover some surprises in the cost of getting that "extra" fabric. :lol:
    If a yard of USA fabric cost $10.00/yard, then a "meter's worth" "would" cost $10.94

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    If a yard of USA fabric cost $10.00/yard, then a "meter's worth" "would" cost $10.94
    In theory. But that is rarely the case.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    In theory. But that is rarely the case.
    I was trying to illustrate what the difference in cost at a USA store would be between a yard length and meter length of fabric - and that one does not get "free" fabric anywhere

I have no idea of what fabrics cost in other parts of the world -

Fabric in Canada is a lot more expensive than in the US, We pay aprox $16 a meter for fabrics where you pay $5 a yard. That is whay I mainly shop online and order from the US it is still usually cheaper with shipping too. :)

Also our quilting stores here have to pay an 18% customs fee to them shipped here, that is why the tend to get marked up so high, which is crazy. :(

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast