Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHY?

Why does the US cut by yards and here in Canada we cut by the meter? It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)

It must depend on the measurement method each country uses.

Power Poster
    Because Canada (and many other countries) has most of their measurements based on the metric system.

Many of the USA measurements are based on feet/yards and pounds/ounces.

I really do not know WHY we have different systems. Habit and custom, I guess. Because that's what the English used.

It is always wise to know what system something is being measured in.

There are even "different" ounces and tons.

Yes, a meter is "longer/more" - but I feel it is up to the buyer to know what he/she is getting/ordering.

Approximate comparison: 1 meter = 39.37 inches

1 yard = 0.9144 meter
    1 meter = 1.0936 yards

one inch = 2.54 cm
    one cm = 0.3937 inch

Quote Originally Posted by Aully
    Why does the US cut by yards and here in Canada we cut by the meter? It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)
    I suspect if you did all the conversions, both measurement and currency, you might discover some surprises in the cost of getting that "extra" fabric. :lol:

I agree my friends in Canada pay alot more for a meter than I do a yard sometimes as much as three times what I pay

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I suspect if you did all the conversions, both measurement and currency, you might discover some surprises in the cost of getting that "extra" fabric. :lol:
    If a yard of USA fabric cost $10.00/yard, then a "meter's worth" "would" cost $10.94

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    If a yard of USA fabric cost $10.00/yard, then a "meter's worth" "would" cost $10.94
    In theory. But that is rarely the case.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    In theory. But that is rarely the case.
    I was trying to illustrate what the difference in cost at a USA store would be between a yard length and meter length of fabric - and that one does not get "free" fabric anywhere

I have no idea of what fabrics cost in other parts of the world -

Fabric in Canada is a lot more expensive than in the US, We pay aprox $16 a meter for fabrics where you pay $5 a yard. That is whay I mainly shop online and order from the US it is still usually cheaper with shipping too. :)

Also our quilting stores here have to pay an 18% customs fee to them shipped here, that is why the tend to get marked up so high, which is crazy. :(

And that is not considering currency conversion at any point in time, either, right?

And that is not considering currency conversion at any point in time, either, right?
    right

The currency has basically 'even' for a number of years so it has stopped being a real factor these days.

The US was going to go metric at one point but there was such push back that it never happened. It also dawned on the powers that be that it would cost a lot to change the system - all new traffic signs and mileage markers in meters, new gas pumps that measure in liters, new scales in kilos, new odometers and spedometers in cars, etc. That's probably what really killed the idea.

Regarding fabric, I would prefer to get 3 less inches and pay half or one-third of the cost. ;) I have a cottage in Canada so spend lots of time there and don't know how you guys afford to quilt at all. I love finding a quilt shop up there but can almost never bring myself to buy anything.

Blog Entries
    Our cars have always had kilometers included on the speedometer but it's really hard to see the numbers. When we were in Canada we just checked what the US mph was for the posted limit and looked at that on the speedometer. So when it said 50 kmph we knew not to go 50 mph but more like 30 mph. lol.

Blog Entries
    Canada has gone metric in everything from temperature to car speed to fuel by the liter - and you think US gas is expensive? At least everything is consistent.

But aren't your fabric prices relatively more expensive as some Canadians tell us?

I think that we use yards, feet, in, and all the other different methods of measuring things because we wanted to be different and unique. hehe

Blog Entries
    They sneak the metric measurements in on us thinking we will change, but it has never worked out that way. i.e. pop and water 1 liter/2liter There was a big push for metrics way back when in I was in HS, but I think we are quite stubborn when it comes to changing.

Australia also went metric many years ago so we buy by the metre too. In a quilting store you pay up around $20 -$28 per metre, prices I can't afford :(

It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)
    We pay twice as much for that meter so how is it better?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    In a quilting store you pay up around $20 -$28 per metre, prices I can't afford :(
    That is also what they charge here.
    It seems quilt fabrics/notions are extremely expensive
    everywhere out of the US.
    I for one only buy online..

US has US customary system while pretty much the rest of the world uses metric.

Fabric in Canada is a lot more expensive than in the US, We pay aprox $16 a meter for fabrics where you pay $5 a yard. That is whay I mainly shop online and order from the US it is still usually cheaper with shipping too. :)
    That is exactly whast I was getting at My friend bought a meter of fabric in Canada for 16 dollars because she hadnt seen it here I found it in Watertown NY for 4.99 a yard

I remember when Canada switched to the metric system. My kids learned metric in school but I learned the other system. It was really hard for me at first as I had to convert everything into yards and pounds instead of metres and kilograms. And gas used to be sold by the gallon here too. Unless you had a new car, you had this sticker you put on your speedometer to convert the speed. Those were the days! LOL

e4
    Also our quilting stores here have to pay an 18% customs fee to them shipped here, that is why the tend to get marked up so high, which is crazy. :(
    I think the customs duty on fabric to the US is about 15% so that part is almost as high as Canada since most of our fabric comes from overseas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    The currency has basically 'even' for a number of years so it has stopped being a real factor these days.

The US was going to go metric at one point but there was such push back that it never happened. It also dawned on the powers that be that it would cost a lot to change the system - all new traffic signs and mileage markers in meters, new gas pumps that measure in liters, new scales in kilos, new odometers and spedometers in cars, etc. That's probably what really killed the idea.

Regarding fabric, I would prefer to get 3 less inches and pay half or one-third of the cost. ;) I have a cottage in Canada so spend lots of time there and don't know how you guys afford to quilt at all. I love finding a quilt shop up there but can almost never bring myself to buy anything.

This is true. After living in other countries and also vacationing in other countries... I probably never would be a quilter with the prices they have to pay for fabrics. Why it's so high is beyond me but I surely agree with Irish NY and find that the basically 3 inches difference is no matter at all to me....but the prices certainly are. We get a lot more for our money here in the US in regards to fabrics, notions and many other things. It's just one of those "it is what it is and nothing will change the facts" things. It's also the same way with the customs and postal fees the overseas and Canadian people have to pay...no amount of griping will change the facts that their particular country will do what it does. We all just have to live with what whatever it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast