Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why are we always in a hurry? >
  • Why are we always in a hurry?

• Why are we always in a hurry?

Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 AM

Default Why are we always in a hurry?

I just read another post where someone was talking about how quickly they finished a quilt top. What's the hurry? I enjoy the process - the planning, shopping cutting, and sewing. I find making a quilt like reading a good book. I love for it all to come together, but there is something a little sad about it being over.
    Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 AM
    Power Poster

I feel the same way. It may be why I have so many tops waiting to be quilted. I love to keep revisiting them.
    peace
    Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 AM

Some of us are just classic overachievers. Most of the quilts I make are for Linus. They are simple and rarely pieced. I have set a quota for myself of 21 a month. Our Linus Chapter usually produces at least 600 quilts a month so I am not the only one keeping busy. I need an excuse to keep purchasing fabric. I feel guilty if I don't make use of it.
    Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 AM

I completely agree with you. I know people who just do one quilt after another and as fast as possible. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I worked so slowly. I didn't retire to keep working on a speeded-up treadmill. One of the reasons I retired was to slow things down. It is enjoyment for me. It is not a speed contest.
    Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 AM
    Power Poster

I am definitely in the tortoise camp as opposed to the hare, slow and sure. I gravitate to more complex patterns with numerous intersecting seams like mariner's compass, NYB, etc. I also enjoy working with small pieces (patchwork that finishes to as little as 1/2" by 1"). The complexity requires a certain amount of precision that can't be rushed. Don't get me wrong, I love shortcut methods like strip piecing, rotary cutting and making numerous HST at once using a grid sewing method but I still have no desire to work at breakneck speed. Like you, I enjoy the process and I always have numerous projects going that require different techniques including handwork. I too can't understand what the big rush is. Even for charity quilts I don't see the point on trying to produce so many. It isn't like there is a huge shortage or overwhelming need, especially with so many charity quilters out there.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 AM

I too enjoy the process, and don't measure myself in terms of how fast I completed a project. I don't like to feel rushed wen this is something I do to relax.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 AM

Just because someone completes a lot of quilts, doesn't mean they are rushing the process. Maybe they love it so much, they just can't stop. I used to make 2-3 quilts as month. Never rushed, but I'd come home from work and quilt for 4 hours. Or quilt all day (12-14 hours) on a weekend, just because I love it so much and it's my relaxation time. Certainly gave me a rep for being Speedy Gonzales, but as I said, I never rushed a single step.

Now, I hardly get any quilts done - maybe 3-4 quilts in a year - because I've started longarming for others. That takes up all my quilting time now.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 AM

It's an addiction. The quicker one is done, the quicker the next one starts. Thanks for the reminder to slow it down. It's the process not the product.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 AM

I enjoy the process but also get bored when I'm on the same project and looking at the same fabric for too long. That's why I love the Jenny Doan-type projects. I can take pleasure in cutting precisely, lining up seams and points exactly and dealing with bias edges, and trying to get a consistent scant quarter inch seam. With the "quick and easy" techniques I can have an attractive, complex-looking finished project in a few weeks and improve my skills while doing it.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 AM
    Power Poster

Usually people have deadlines to get the quilt done such as a birthday or a wedding or a holiday. That is what happens to me. When I was in competition with my quilts, I was literally sewing the binding to the back as my friend drove me to where I was to drop off the quilt. Never enough time in the day for me.