Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are we always in a hurry? >

Why are we always in a hurry?

Why are we always in a hurry?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

LOL!! Yes! Do OK til you hit that yard deep pothole and everything goes flying except the needle implants itself into your nail bed!!
Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
True enough about deadlines, but I would love to know how many of you can actually hand sew in a moving vehicle????? I would arrive with a bloodstained quilt.

Oh wow! Good for you, Maniac!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 AM

I'm not super fast but keep on working once I start a quilt. What takes me so much time is deciding on what I'm going to make. I design most of the quilts I give away. I want the quilt to reflect the person's interests so it's a struggle to figure out what to use and where to put it. But once that part is over, I can get them done in a couple of weeks most of the time. Except the last one I made for my daughter. That super queen sized cathedral window was in my lap for a couple of years. Of course, I broke my arm and couldn't do a thing for 4 months while making that one.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM

I guess I'm bit of both. Sometimes I make one after another-usually baby quilts. It's stress relief for me, not that I'm trying to race. I just made a top in a matter of hours, I had the time, really wasn't trying to hurry.I will machine quilt it this weekend. Other times it will take me weeks to do the same top because I only get a few minutes here and there. It's also taken me a year or more to make a quilt-one that I hand quilt.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Just because someone (like me) works fast, does not mean we do not enjoy the process. I receive great pleasure giving my quilts away blessing others with my work. If I didn't enjoy the process, I wouldn't be doing it. I figure that I am good that I don't go too much over the speed limit on the roads but can go "pedal to the metal" on my sewing machine and not get in trouble!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
True enough about deadlines, but I would love to know how many of you can actually hand sew in a moving vehicle????? I would arrive with a bloodstained quilt.

Oh wow! Good for you, Maniac!
I hand sew bindings all the time in the car. Obviously when I am NOT driving. Have only stabbed myself a couple of times but never got blood on the quilt!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
I hand sew bindings all the time in the car. Obviously when I am NOT driving. Have only stabbed myself a couple of times but never got blood on the quilt!
I suppose not getting blood on the quilt was the important part~
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM

I don't have a problem with people who like fast, easy quilts. I don't have a problem with people who like complicated, time-consuming quilts. What I DO have a problem with is that the American quilt magazine industry seems to cater only to the first quilter while ignoring the second quilter. I have pretty much dropped all of my subscriptions because of this. Occasionally I'll purchase a QNM, but other than that it's the foreign magazines that grab and hold my attention.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 AM

To each his own, I guess, but like you, taking 2 or 3 years to do a quilt is 2 or 3 years of enjoyment and supreme satisfaction when its done. Others have many family and friend members and give to charity so need to be able to assemble a quilt quickly. We are ALL quilters.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Occasionally I'll purchase a QNM, but other than that it's the foreign magazines that grab and hold my attention.
I'm not familiar with any foreign magazines. What are some of the names to look for?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Every quilt I've seen made by a Japanese quilter is a show stopper. Most all of them are hand appliqued. One Japanese entrant at Paducah told me that she had to make the quilt perfect or it would bring shame to her family. Her goal was to make the quilt as perfect as possible. She reached her goal and then some in my opinion. All the Japanese quilts were far and beyond speculator. It made me want to sew a crooked seam on purpose to take the images of the perfection out of my head. Nope, fast is the way for me to quilt and be happy.