Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are we always in a hurry? >

Why are we always in a hurry?

Why are we always in a hurry?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 AM

I am slow and steady like the tortoise but seem to always have a deadline. I rarely keep my quilts, but use the opportunity to learn new techniques by gifting them. Seems like there is always someone in the family or close circle of friends, that are having a new baby, getting married, having a birthday etc. Right now I am working on a 6" finished churn dash set on point for my mom's 90th birthday in October. I have to have it to the long armer by August. I have been sewing like mad the last week however as tomorrow we pick up our two long awaited Golden puppies. They may slow me down a bit, ha, ha. Next is a baby quilt (didn't tell anyone until June as she had previously had miscarriages) for a dear couple we "adopted". After that it is a Tee shirt quilt for my DD as a surprise Christmas gift of her old HS, more recent college, and work shirts that she designed. The list seems to go on and on. I enjoy the process but am always looking forward to the next one too. I have TONS of projects ear marked for me, (or someone who just happens to need one,) in the closet, so never run out of ideas or projects.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 AM

I agree with you paoberle. I take my time with every quilt. I love the beginning, finding a pattern. Then the fabric choice or visa versa. The process is slow because I am an artist who loves her art. And...I can relate to the sadness once a quilt has been completed.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM

I do not hurry I love the process and I really don't know what the rush is unless it is for something that has to be done at a specific time. I love quilting I do have a sewing room where I can go down and work on my quilts and never have to put anything away when I am done. Except for turning off the machine, TV and radio.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

There are times when I'm on a deadline, like the Family Reunion quilts I make every other year, as it has to be done in time to ship and arrive by July 4, although one year all they got was a picture as the quilt didn't arrive until the next day, but they understood. I've even been hand stitching the binding to a quilt which was to be raffled off the next day. We had just spent 2 days getting from NH to NE, I was exhausted, but had to finish the binding, although I apparently kept dosing off, and my niece was trying to capture me on film asleep, although I guess I woke up just before she snapped the picture - that would have been cute. Then I've had years where I was sewing/quilting before I went to work and after I came home, before dinner and after, although I was making items to sell at my church's holiday fair, and it was for a good cause. It also helped keep me sane, although now I have the time to devote more time to quilting, but life keeps getting in the way. Fast or slow, I enjoy the process and when I start getting crabby my DH tells me to go quilt, as I'm happier then.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Time is in the hand of the beholder . I like to take my time when sewing or quilting because I have little of it for that and it goes by so quickly! Not sure I fall into the perfectionist category but I do know what *my* standard is and try to stay there.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't have a problem with people who like fast, easy quilts. I don't have a problem with people who like complicated, time-consuming quilts. What I DO have a problem with is that the American quilt magazine industry seems to cater only to the first quilter while ignoring the second quilter. I have pretty much dropped all of my subscriptions because of this. Occasionally I'll purchase a QNM, but other than that it's the foreign magazines that grab and hold my attention.
I completely agree with you. Quiltmania is my favorite magazine.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM

It is a fast paced world. It is the way of things these days. I quilt to relax and i take my time so I can enjoy the process. It is a real joy to see the project completed but I don't rush things. I just plain enjoy being creative at a turtles speed. lol
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM

I don't rush, but there is always that "other pretty fabric" to use right after you are done with the present one!lol
Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Gotta use up what I have so I can get more!! Hehehe
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Lildinks, I like you avatar. It gives me a peaceful feeling.