Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are we always in a hurry? >

Why are we always in a hurry?

Why are we always in a hurry?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Of the group of gals I quilt with (there are 6 of us) I am the slow sewer and quilter. It got to be an inside joke of the group but I didn't mind. And still don't. I have picked up my speed a bit but I try to enjoy the process and be in the moment when I am quilting.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Count me in on the tortoise team. I generally make complex patchwork and between that and the time I spend cogitating along the way most people have left me in the dust. Going slowly also fits my budget. Quilting is an expensive hobby.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm not familiar with any foreign magazines. What are some of the names to look for?
Well let's see. Quiltmania is a good one, they have a French version, a Japanese version, and I think a British version, but I could be wrong. Australian Patchwork and Quilting is another good one. I usually have to go to B&N for them.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM

perfectionists tend to be slower, my aunt comments on my slow going quilts, but my seams look better than her fast quilts, and match up better so I don't mind going slow
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Some people eat rapidly, some eat slowly...their bodies get nourishment either way.
Some people quilt rapidly, some quilt slowly...their souls get nourishment either way.
It all works out just fine.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 AM

I'm a prolific quilter, but I don't just do the fast-and-easy type quilts. Some of mine fall into the complex category. And I do some that involve a lot of hand stitching too. This is one I have in progress right now.. not finished, still need to figure out what I want to do with the drops:
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 AM

Sorry... that didn't go through... trying again on the last post...
Attached Thumbnails baseandpillowtop.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 04:39 AM

Some us work full time and we don't have the time to leisurely just "plan", shop around, sew/quilt. Quick and easy- instant gratification for me! I would LOVE to tackle something more detailed but it would end up a forever UFO.

Sandy
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
I'm a prolific quilter, but I don't just do the fast-and-easy type quilts. Some of mine fall into the complex category. And I do some that involve a lot of hand stitching too. This is one I have in progress right now.. not finished, still need to figure out what I want to do with the drops:

GORGEOUS! Not in my lifetime though.
sandy
Old 07-11-2014, 04:49 AM

My friends call me a prolific quilter. I don't do any handsewing because of arthritis in my hands, so everything is done by machine, even the quilting. I have a longarm, so I can see the entire project through, and really call it "My own". I am a perfectionist, but also a realist. You can't always get a "perfect point" or a "matching seam", but no one is going to notice it if I don't point it out to them. I can't stand UFOs, so I try to complete a project once I get it started, and when it is finished, I am excited to get on to the next one. I make a lot of charity quilts, and try to have several on hand in case there is some tragedy like a tornado or hurricane. I don't do terribly difficult designs, but I like to stretch myself past my comfort zone. I find quilting so much fun, I can't wait to see what I can accomplish next. So I really don't consider it "being in a hurry" to make one quilt after another.