Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Wool and wool felt? >

Why Wool and wool felt?

Why Wool and wool felt?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Why Wool and wool felt?

I enjoy embellishing wall hangings and small quilts etc., however, I'm not very good at embroidery. I signed up to take a monthly embroidery class to hone my skills. I just got the supply list and you need wool scraps and wool felt. Why does the fabric and felt need to be wool. I know wool felt is quite a bit more expensive than craft felt and I hate to buy wool even in fat quarters as I don't know that I will ever use the rest. I sew with cotton fabric. Who would be apt to have wool scraps, garment sewers? I'm not sure if I should cancel the class or not - oh what to do????
Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Check your thrift stores, Goodwill, etc. for "older" men's suit coats, ladies skirts and trousers, blazers, vests, etc. Make sure you check the fiber contents as many times wool is mixed with nylon and other fibers. With "older" clothing, you can still find 100% wool. It is much, much cheaper to buy wool this way. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-29-2016, 12:04 PM

It looks & feels really luxurious. That said, I've substituted out the fake felt from JAF & cotton fabric. I don't buy the craft felt squares. I buy the stuff on the bolt. The craft squares tend to be so thin you can see through to the fabric underneath.

Primitive Gatherings (https://www.primitivegatherings.us/s...tch-chart.html) sells wool scrap bags for $25/bag, or 2 bags for $40.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Felted wool can be used raw edge since it doesn't fray. It also tends to be brighter and vibrant. If it is just a few wool appliques, you could do regular needle turn applique if the pieces are not too intricate.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:03 PM

I make felted pin cushions, and I get some of my wool from Goodwill - old clothing. Saves money and the variety is amazing. How much do you need in total? Good luck.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM

Can you ask the person who is doing the class? She/he probably has the information you need for what will work in the class.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Thrift shops are a great place to find wool for quilting, applique and embroidery. I love working with wool! Look for 100% wool - dry cleaning instructions. Then, take it home, deconstruct it, toss it in the washer with hot , hot water ( I usually add a tea kettle or two of boiling to my hot water) and a bit of detergent. Wash on a long cycle. Rinse in Cold water. Toss into a hot dryer. Take it out before its too over dry, otherwise wrinkles are hard to get out. The pieces you have are now felted and ready for use. The edges do not fray so applique is easy,
craft felt is an acrylic fiber and is not washable.
heres a couple of my wool projects I'm working on.
Attached Thumbnails img_2215.jpg   img_2214.jpg   img_2213.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 PM

thanks for the info.....your projects are lovely.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I buy scrap bags of the good wool from the wool shops online. Here is one: http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/wool-scrap-bag.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Felted wool can be used raw edge since it doesn't fray.
What Tartan said.

This was my Christmas present to myself. While all the boys were busy playing with their noisy toys, power tools, and video games, I sat quietly and sewed. (The block is square but distorted because of the camera angle).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564594[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mr-bunny.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 12-29-2016 at 11:35 PM.