Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me? >

Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

I always wash my finished quilts, just part of it being finished. I try to always tell the receiver that it is clean. People normally wash quilts like sheets and I don't tell them to use color catchers or anything else. I try to tell them not to wash them to death.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
I just finished a BOM quilt for a wedding gift. Since it was a BOM, the fabric was not pre washed, because each month I only got small pieces of fabric. Is it okay to give a box of color catchers in with the gift or will 'they' come after me? Have any of you given color catchers with a quilt?
I think would be great to give a box of color catchers along with a note explaining that you did not prewash the fabric and color catchers should be used to take care of an bleeding that might occur. The new bride may not be familiar with using them. Even when I prewash my fabric if it bleeds a lot and I wash it more than once I often include a box or recommend them, because of a prior disaster of my own.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 AM

Color Catchers always accompany a quilt when given from me. I put directions in with the quilt so they know what to do with them. I wash before giving, but still, you never know. And the quilt police can 'pound sand,' while I think Emily would say to go ahead and include them so the gift remains in good condition.

Last edited by coopah; 04-28-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 AM

I don't like to wash my quilts before I give them due to I want the receiver to see the before/after look from washing. I just include 1 or 2 color catchers, depending on the fabric, and instructions to use them the first and second washing.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
So many reasons to wash before gifting! Most quilt recipients have no clue what happens to a quilt in the wash, no idea that it might "crinkle" or look entirely different when they take it out of the washer. I don't want them to think the quilt is ruined, so I always wash first. Washing also gets rid of any dirt, oils from my hands, chemicals from unwashed fabrics, marks from quilting lines, etc. And lastly, the wash will also expose (hopefully) any areas desperately needing attention...like a pulled seam, loose quilting, or bleeding fabrics....then I can fix before gifting.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to write. Plus, I have cats and dogs that live inside, and even though they're not allowed in my sewing room, fur drifts. And I often glue-baste, so there's another reason to wash.

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
And I can't say any recipient has ever thought that it has been used. I usually put in a note that says it has been washed and then instructions on how they can wash it again. Sometimes they are afraid to wash it the first time.
This, too. I have seen people visibly relax when I tell them that not only is the quilt machine-washable & dryable, it's ALREADY been through a wash and dry. If I'm giving a baby quilt, I wash on HOT and tell them I did so so they'll know it's safe to do the same if the baby has an accident on it. (Normally I wash on warm.) I want people to view my quilts as something that's designed to be USED daily. I also tell people it comes with a lifetime warranty (my lifetime) for any rips or holes or failed seams. I haven't been quilting very long yet but I HOPE some day I'll get back some tattered quilts that need new binding and backing and some patching done. I HOPE they get loved and used that much!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Either way works. Evaluate your relationship and decide accordingly ...
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I NEVER let a quilt go without washing it first, gift, sale, donation it does not matter. For me the final step to every quilt is laundering after the binding is finished. I've never had a new, laundered quilt look ( used) either. Laundering removes any soils/oils/chemicals and marks. Allows me to be sure every seam, stitch is secure and no colors are ( troublesome) . every quilt, every time... No matter what!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 AM

Wash with color catchers AND include a new box with the gift!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would NOT pre-wash a quilt because it will look like it had been USED! Yes, enclose washing instructions with a package of color catchers.
The other side of this is I gifted a pretty baby quilt to a young mom without washing it first, who called me a few days later in tears, because she had washed the quilt and it was now "ruined" because it was now " all wrinkly". I assured her that that is supposed to happen, and that 'wrinkly' is cuddly. I now wash them all.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM

I agree with you. I also like the softer feel of a washed quilt, and I like getting rid of the oil from my hands (as well as a few cat hairs the quilt might have picked up along the way).