Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me? >

Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I always prewash. I gotten blocks from estate sales and prewashed those. Wasn't about to work on it without having done so. I prewash everything. I would not be happy if I received a quilt that when it needed washing would bleed. I would think the creator of the quilt didn't care!!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
I would also wash the quilt before giving it away.
I always wash with a color catcher before gifting. It also lets me know all stitches are okay. If the crinkly look is not for you, then a press after washing is okay. However, I would never use starch as bugs just love munching on it and they don't care if it ruins your quilt.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM

I always pin one to the quilt, no complaints yet.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:44 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wash quilts before you give them away. This is a plea especially to anyone who owns furry friends. I ask this as someone who ended up in the ER one time from the cat hair in a gift basket. You really never know what all you are giving away with that quilt. Always better to be safe than sorry!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:32 AM

I also always wash quilt before gifting for a variety of reasons. I am getting ready to start a red, black, and white quilt - thanks for the reminder to prewash (i never do that) because of the red.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to write. Plus, I have cats and dogs that live inside, and even though they're not allowed in my sewing room, fur drifts. And I often glue-baste, so there's another reason to wash.

This, too. I have seen people visibly relax when I tell them that not only is the quilt machine-washable & dryable, it's ALREADY been through a wash and dry. If I'm giving a baby quilt, I wash on HOT and tell them I did so so they'll know it's safe to do the same if the baby has an accident on it. (Normally I wash on warm.) I want people to view my quilts as something that's designed to be USED daily. I also tell people it comes with a lifetime warranty (my lifetime) for any rips or holes or failed seams. I haven't been quilting very long yet but I HOPE some day I'll get back some tattered quilts that need new binding and backing and some patching done. I HOPE they get loved and used that much!

My sentiments exactly!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 AM

I do the same thing for the same reason even with the quilts I sell.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
So many reasons to wash before gifting! Most quilt recipients have no clue what happens to a quilt in the wash, no idea that it might "crinkle" or look entirely different when they take it out of the washer. I don't want them to think the quilt is ruined, so I always wash first. Washing also gets rid of any dirt, oils from my hands, chemicals from unwashed fabrics, marks from quilting lines, etc. And lastly, the wash will also expose (hopefully) any areas desperately needing attention...like a pulled seam, loose quilting, or bleeding fabrics....then I can fix before gifting. And I always include a box of color catchers with instructions (just in case).
Old 05-08-2015, 10:43 AM

I recently finished and sent off a baby quilt that I had made using a pre-printed panel and yard goods. I did not pre-wash anything before starting, but did put the finished quilt in my washer on the rinse and spin cycle (set on cold) to remove the water-erasable marker I had used. Yes, the quilt came out of the dryer a bit puffier, but in the note I sent to the recipient, I explained the reason for the 'washed' appearance of the quilt. Didn't matter...the individual who asked that I make the quilt for her first great-grandchild was delighted with the quilt...warmed my heart!