Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Will my cutting mats stop smelling?

I just received my Olfa cutting mats yesterday and laid them out on my cutting table downstairs. When I got home from work today, the whole house smelled awful. I realized that it was the mats and put them out in the garage which now smells too. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, does the smell go away? And how long will it take?

Yes they will! But in the meantime they do stink! I tried washing mine, laying out in the sun, rubbing with dryer sheets, spraying with Febreeze and they finally got to the point they were allowed back into my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    This smell drove DH crazy. when I got mine. I researched it and found that vinegar was helpful. Here's a web page with some help. http://tenthousandsewinghours.blogsp...at-smelly.html
    For me, the smell was OK but not for DH so we let it air on the screened porch for a couple of weeks. Then it got to come in.
    Good luck!

Hi Janet. Try soaking them in the tub with tepid (luke warm) water and white vinegar. Be sure not to use hot or cold water. Soak for several hours, remove, rinse, dry with towels, lay flat for final drying.

Please keep us posted as to what you do for the smell and the outcome.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm.........that's odd! I just purchased one from JoAnn's, and it doesn't smell. Maybe it's because it's already "aired out" since it was at JoAnn's. :? I sure hope you can get the smell out of your mat! 8-)

Blog Entries
    Glad I didn't have the problem! Have asthma! Good luck. Hope u get to use it soon!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I had a June Taylor one that smelled but after a couple of weeks the smell went away.

Blog Entries
    I'm curious, why after spending so much on a product, you would have to let it air out? I didnt buy Olfa, but I didnt have any smell

I have two Olfa mats and neither one had any smell. Got them at LQS where they were stored upright without wrapping, maybe that's the difference. I wouldn't keep one with a bad odor.

crumpled up newspaper is supposed to absorb odor and it has worked well for me. (Know this from when my son got sick in my car and I couldn't get the smell out of the car). Try tossing crumpled up newspaper on top of it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast