Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help me with my dilemma

Help me with my dilemma

I am working on a baby quilt (there's a story about why it has birds) and am having trouble with a little issue related to the final border. The border is a blender of sorts and has a linear pattern to it. The problem is the fabric was printed so if it is cut on the straight grain the lines do not line up properly. I think you'll see what I mean when you look at the picture. So, what would you do- cut following the line, but off-grain, or cut on-grain and let the line be off? One more note- in the picture of the quilt the colors are such that it looks like the border doesn’t blend with the colors of the quilt, but it does. Thank you in advance for your opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous quilt, anorton. I would cut off grain so that the pattern looks straight.

I would hand cut it to make sure it looks good to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd fight with myself that it would be ok but eventually I'd give in and would fussy cut it to follow the pattern. This sort of thing actually happens quite a lot with all sorts of prints and I've had to deal with it before... Sometimes you don't even notice there is a diagonal drift/pattern until you see that 3 yard long piece of border cut 8" or whatever wide.

In fact we had a discussion about it in my small group last week. I had a choice between three different fabrics, one was quite sweet, one wasn't really the right color and would drag the project down, and one is rather linear and we all decided was the best choice if I was going to follow the pattern and not the grain of the fabric. It will take a bit more work and effort, but colorwise it was the best of the three.

I'm usually big on cutting on the straight of grain especially on a border, but a good quality modern woven fabric shouldn't really matter much if at all. I fussy cut all the time with no attention to the grain.

The other idea is if it is going to be off, I skew it off even more. A print like that maybe I'd cut into long wedges and sew back together even.

Power Poster
    ​The close up makes it obvious but on the quilt it looks fine. Only redo if it bothers you.

Does the picture show the border already on the quilt? If so, it looks fine.

I agree, if it bothers you, change it to fussy cut. It looks great the way it is. Love, love, love the birds!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    i like it the way it is, too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Love the birds. I'm with everyone else. If those borders are already on, I don't think the pattern is off enough to worry about it. But anytime a print like that is very off, I also cut off grain so the print is straight. If it's only slightly off and won't matter, I cut as usual and don't concern myself with it.

I would take it off and recut it to be straight with the print.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Either, or! In the picture of the whole quilt from a distance, you cannot tell. However, up close you can see the drift, so I think I would have to cut off grain. BTW...I love the birds!

Those birds are super!! I'm with everyone else--cut according to the design of the border fabric chosen. For no wider than that is, I don't think it will be a problem either in construction or appearance.

Love the colors! I think it looks great as is. It’s a small enough design, it’s not obvious

On your picture of the whole quilt it isn't even noticable. Love that print BTW as well as the whole quilt. Anyway, I would leave it. If you take it off and redo it are you going to go to all the trouble of lining it up so it matches where the seam lines are where the top and bottom border meet the sides as well? That print looks tiny to me. What do those hourglass blocks measure? Looks to me that they are less than 1/2". That small of a print is not noticeable and honestly doubt the mom will even notice and the baby definitely won't. Besides, with those great bird blocks, all any viewers attention will be focused on that. The border is peripheral. Once quilted it will be even less noticeable.

Power Poster
    When I enlarged the picture, the off grain printing was quite noticable to me.

It would bother me.

As for what to do ? Maybe look for a different fabric for the border?

Quote Originally Posted by anorton View Post
    ....................So, what would you do- cut following the line, but off-grain, or cut on-grain and let the line be off? ...........................
    Cut along the pattern of the fabric (off grain).....your borders will look crooked if you cut on the grain of the fabric with this type of print. In a competition this could be the difference in a placement and no ribbon.

Also make sure your dark border is very straight. :-)
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 03-31-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Also.....

I honestly can't see what's wrong with it. It's beautiful!!!!!!!
    Edit- Ohhhh now I see what you mean. I thought you meant the bird fabric.

Maybe just redo it, cutting it straight.

I taught college level classes in textiles, etc., and I would cut it off grain, and then interface it to give it stability if it seemed too stretchy.