Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with a quilting dilemma

Need help with a quilting dilemma

I have inherited 28 beautiful star blocks, made in different shades of lavender. There is one block in the group that has been batted, backed and quilted. I don't know if the owner's intention was to continue with the entire quilt this way, or if I should put it together the conventional way of sewing the blocks together and treating the entire quilt as a whole for finishing. I have never worked on the individual blocks in this way, and would like some feedback....
    Thanks so much for your wonderful website and advice.

I think I would pick out the quilting on that block and put it together as a whole to quilt. I am not a fan of the way QAYG quilts look. Just do it the way you feel comfortable quilting. It will turn out great.

I would pick the batted block apart and sew it together the conventional way or the way you usually do.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

If you can find the same colors, remake the block and use the already quilted and batted block for a pillow or carry tote.

I have to agree, I would pick out the quilting and do what you are used to doing.

Dina

Sometimes we feel a sense of obligation to finish it as the quilter intended- I know this because I inherited approximately 12 WIPs from my mentor. However, I came to realize that the original quilter would be pleased and honored to have you finish the project YOUR way. I would use 25 of the blocks to make a top, use 2 on the back, and keep the batted block as an accessory wall hanging. Best of luck with the project!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.

you could continue on as the original owner did and learn a new skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.
    A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judi_lynne View Post
    A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi
    that kind of puzzled me---i've made a number of quilt as you go quilts- i've never had one come out 'stiff' ???
    i have seen a 'Cotton Theory quilt' that was kind of stiff---there was so much dense quilting on it- but it even softened up when it was laundered...mine have never been stiff. stiffness depends on the batting used & the density of the quilting- some quilts are stiff even if not done qayg---i don't think that method is the determining factor....the batting/quilting density is the determining factor-i've seen hand quilted quilts quilted so densely they were like boards when finished-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I think part of the "stiffness" is the fact that there are so many layers everywhere there is a connecting "border" -- I made a strip pieced scrappy quilt, and didn't even use backing or batting, just the foundation and the strings, and it is heavy and unwieldy. I plan to use it in my car, as a picnic/tailgating blanket, but doubt I would ever make one again. At least, not where I bought and cut strips (I was new to quilting at the time, and didn't know about "scrap quilting" using up what was left over) I probably have a small fortune tied up in that quilt

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to learn to QAYG until I saw a tute on how you attach each block together. It seemed like a hassle to ME and I decided that I didn't want to QAYG anymore. For some reason I thought you just sewed the blocks to each other. When I found out how much work was involved in attaching them to each other, I decided I would rather just piece my tops and send them out like I always do. Big thumps up to people who QAYG! There's a lot of work involved in making those quilts!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    If you are really ready to tackle a new method of quilting, then continue ahead. Just be prepared for it to maybe take a bit longer than planned since you will be learning as you go. Since there are so many blocks, though, my suggestion would be to take apart the one block and then finish the quilt the way in which you know best. You can always make a small wall hanging by quilting a block at a time some time in the future. That way, if you find that method is not to your liking then you haven't invested so much effort into the current blocks you have. Hope you'll post a final pic when you're done...good luck with your choice!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Im not sure why it is stiffer, it just is. Could be the way it is quilted since it is different than an all over quilting. I use the same batting I always use 80/20.

I agree with this approach - I like the idea of keeping the original quilter's block intact as a small wall hanging.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    If you can find the same colors, remake the block and use the already quilted and batted block for a pillow or carry tote.
    Or can you get by without the quiltied block and use the batted on for something else as indicated above?
    One step at a time, always forward.