Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Foolish cheapness

Power Poster

Foolish cheapness

Are there items that you try to 'made do' with looooonnnng after it would have been sensible to have replaced/changed/serviced them?

And after you finally do, wonder 'what took me so long?'

My list:

rotary blades - dull or nicked
    cutting mats - warped, cracked, or used so much that it is no longer smooth enough to cut properly on
    rulers that have been used so much that the edge is curved instead of still straight
    sewing machine needles
    hand sewing needles - I keep on using one that has developed a curve in it
    getting scissors sharpened
    putting up with an iron that is not working properly
    using an ironing board cover that is pathetic

Yep. I use everything too long, don't replace it until there's complete failure...unless something reminds me and I change it, but usually not
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Yes I do. I am good about my rotary blades and needles, only because I cut a LOT not just for me but my mom and several of her friends. Needles because I have had that drummed into me by my LQS and yes it does make a big difference. I am terrible about getting my scissors sharpened and have notice my rulers lately - wondering how I could have done that. One other that I am trying to do is to weed out my threads that I don't like or my machine doesn't like as well - why can I not just throw out a spool!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Are there items that you try to 'made do' with looooonnnng after it would have been sensible to have replaced/changed/serviced them?

And after you finally do, wonder 'what took me so long?'

My list:

rotary blades - dull or nicked
    cutting mats - warped, cracked, or used so much that it is no longer smooth enough to cut properly on
    rulers that have been used so much that the edge is curved instead of still straight
    sewing machine needles
    hand sewing needles - I keep on using one that has developed a curve in it
    getting scissors sharpened
    putting up with an iron that is not working properly
    using an ironing board cover that is pathetic

I have one hand sewing needle I use all time. So much so it is developing a slight curve.
    As for my cutting mat, a piece of extra fine sandpaper fixes it right up.
    I store all my dull cutting blades in a drawer, for what? who knows...........LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Pretty much all of the above. And I honestly can't understand why I'm such a miser about the rotary blades.
    I replaced the blades in both cutters yesterday in preparation for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. I really don't know how long I've been leaving uncut strings, saying mumble curses, and going back and recutting...just how hard is it to walk over and get a new blade.

when I put the new blades in (holy cow, the expense the expense...) I noticed I'd put the date of purchase on the container...2009. And only two blades were gone.

Yet behind all of us probably sits thousands and thousands of dollars worth of fabric there is no hope we can use, and we don't give a thought to running out and buying more. Quilters are funny thinkers

I recently bought a new rotary blade and it's no better than the old one.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I wait too long to change rotary blades.
    This one I hate to admit to, but I might be waiting way too long in between having the technician do a check up to make sure everything is working as good as new on my computerized sewing machine. I keep all my machines covered and clean them myself but of course won't take the whole thing apart. My gut keeps telling me don't fix what isn't broken. I am probably asking for trouble.

Blog Entries
    I haven't found a quilting notion that will break the budget to replace so I don't put up with worn out tools. I'm not a very make do type of person.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    yes, my frugal upbringing causes me to use everything until it is past being worn out. after all, quilters have always taken fabrics from other items to make quilts... so i guess it's in our blood
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I save on lots of other things, just not my quilting things. I feel the need to draw the line somewhere.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I keep nicking the corners off my 6 1/2" square ruler. Have I replaced it? No, just turn it to find a "good" corner--I think I'm down to one corner now that's not nicked. How silly.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    As for my cutting mat, a piece of extra fine sandpaper fixes it right up.
    I store all my dull cutting blades in a drawer, for what? who knows...........LOL
    Never tried sandpaper. I use a rolled up piece of netting, the kind people crochet potscrubbers out of. And you can use those "dull" blades for cutting paper. Unless they are too dull even for that! I keep dull blades in little box marked "for cutting paper".

I hate to change blades too, they're so expensive! But a dull blade will shorten the life of your cutting mat, even more excensive.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I need to have all my rulers from the same company, but I don't want to spend the money. I have nice rulers that look brand new and hate to replace them just to have them all from the same place. Everything else I will replace.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Yes! Guilty here! Used one of my cutting mats until the lines were all gone in the center section. Finally decided to buy a new one and wondered why I waited so long. Kept a rotary cutter even though I lost the little metal spring and it was useless! Gravy! What was I thinking???

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I haven't found a quilting notion that will break the budget to replace so I don't put up with worn out tools. I'm not a very make do type of person.
    I' m with you. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!

I don't use tools past their prime. The extra work is not worth it. I do admit to saving my old worn-out rotary blades, though. Perhaps one of these days I'll buy the newest sharpener. I do hate to pay the price for rotary blades and I do try to always get them on sale.

Blog Entries
    Yep we all have the same ole sins it looks like. Rotary cutter blades irritate me so much, that I actually do throw them out when needed. My cutting mats, my husband uses in the garage??? I have no idea why, but he is happy with them. Rulers I throw out after fighting with one for way toooo long! Sewing machine needles I now use as quilt hangers. My quiltin sister taught me that trick. You can hammer them in on the corners and only have a little hole to putty when you move things around. Hand needles I usually manage to break long before they bend??? I'm too lazy to cut thread and just pop it to break it, which takes out the eye of the needle. Do you think I will ever learn? Scissors I get sharped at quilt shows that come thru town from time to time. Irons!!! That makes me so darn mad. I am on my 4th Rowenta steam generator iron. Those blasted things cost a fortune and melt where the cap screws on. I love them so much, but am frustrated to no end with them. So I do put up unfortunately. Although my quilting buddy bought me a Continental iron for Christmas last year that is dynamite. No holes for steam so it's perfect for fusible applique. It heats up fast and has no automatic shutoff on it. I use a 2x4 foot piece of plywood for my ironing board and am pretty good about replacing the cover when it needs it since it's only duct taped on.

It's taken a lot of years to make and break these habits!! hahahahahha

My favorite embroidery needles are curved now and I sort of like them that way, i don't twist my floss as much.

Way overdue to replace - my ironing board cover!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamsbuying View Post
    Way overdue to replace - my ironing board cover!!
    I am with you on this one! And of course the rotary cutter blade and mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I recently bought a new rotary blade and it's no better than the old one.
    Just a thought not sure which cutter you have but if it is the Olfa one is the washer on the right way and the nut also makes a difference. I can't remember which is correct but I think they show you on the Olfa website. It could also be the blade I am sure that every once in a while there is a dud. If it is Olfa brand email them - they are usally very responsive. I had lost the washer on my cutter and emailed about purchasing a replacement and they sent one to me.

My make do is rotary blades also. Don't know why as I have a blade sharpener I can use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I save on lots of other things, just not my quilting things. I feel the need to draw the line somewhere.
    Me too -fabric cost to much to mess it up by trying to save a few cents or the the time. I use those 50% coupons for batting and/or rotary blades. Notion wise the most expensive item for me are the blades

everything.

aileen

i find that a slight curve in my between needles makes it easier to pick up an extra stitch. i like them that way....

eventually they break and it makes me sad.

aileen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast