Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A foolish question...

Is wax paper and freezer paper the same thing? I did not think so, but am now wondering.

Michelle

Blog Entries
    Nope. 2 different animals. :)

No they are not the same thing. Wax paper is a transparent milky paper, waxed on both sides. It is thinner and lighter than freezer paper. Freezer paper is heavier, waxed on one side only and just paper on the other. Freezer paper is wider and may be white or a pinky tan colour. My wax paper roll is about 12" wide while my freezer paper roll is about 18" wide. You iron on the paper side and the waxed side then adhears to your fabric. If you tried ironing plain old wax paper, it would just stick to your iron. Hope this helps.

Not foolish at all, Michelle! You are correct, they are not the same. Freezer paper is white, not clear, and is a lot heavier. When you iron freezer paper onto your fabric, it will stick, but it doesn't leave any residue, like wax paper would. It's cheaper if you but it at the grocery store. I hope this helps a bit!

I think freezer paper has some type of plastic coating, not wax, and only on one side. I found mine in the same section of Wal-Mart as the wax paper, foil, etc.

It isn't a foolish question. I had the same question when I was first learning about freezer paper applique. Or maybe it is foolish, in which case at least you aren't the only fool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    I think freezer paper has some type of plastic coating, not wax, and only on one side. I found mine in the same section of Wal-Mart as the wax paper, foil, etc.
    Yes and you can peel it off and reuse the same piece till it falls to shreds!

I've found all kinds of uses for the freezer paper. One year for my daughter's birthday, I painted a big banner on the paper side. We've also made welcome banners for the preschool on their first day.

Power Poster

Blog Entries
    The shiny side of freezer paper has a kind of plastic surface that acts like an adhesive if something is ironed onto it, making it possible for us to use it for many different kinds of projects..

I wondered the same thing when I started quilting.

Blog Entries
    ....And, forgot to mention that you can peel it off without damage to the fabric or paper or whatever you ironed it onto.

What is it actually used for?

Butchers use it to wrap meat...

Quote Originally Posted by lynn2354
    Butchers use it to wrap meat...
    I think...I will have to google it.

:oops:

yeah....understand that, i looked it up on google too. But I mean in the way of quilting?

Power Poster
    Some people make templates out of it. It has a bit more body than ordinary paper.

Some people make patterns for applique for it and iron it on the fabric and cut around it.

I use it to line drawers.

Blog Entries
    definitly 2 different products. wax paper is see through with a wax coating ... when i was a kid we used to collect leaves and press them between 2 pieces of wax paper.
    freezer paper is white. paper on one side a plastic coating on the other. also known as butcher paper, it is used with the plastic side to the inside to wrap meat at butcher shops. you can usually see through it pretty easy so it's good for tracing applique shapes. the plastic coating DOES NOT COME OFF ON YOUR FABRIC you can iron the coated side to your fabrics and cut on the lines. the freezer paper can be removed and reused many times and is a staple in alot of quilting/sewing rooms. wax paper..not so much....

Blog Entries
    you can also cut (or buy precut) freezer paper sheets into 8 1/2" x 11 1/2" sheets iron prepared fabric to it, cut to size and run through your ink-jet printer to put pictures on fabric...freezer paper feeds the fabric through very well
    i always have a box of freezer paper from the grocery store, bet i use it every day. but i like buying pre-cut sheets (i buy 50 pack's) for running through the printer instead of cutting my own. pre-cut sheets are available at some lqs's and craft/fabric shops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you can also cut (or buy precut) freezer paper sheets into 8 1/2" x 11 1/2" sheets
    I picked up 10 packages of this cut freezer paper CHEAP at a used book store, along with several quilting books!
    They take estate sale overflow, and did not know what they had.