Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheating at Fabric Bingo

So at my guild this month, we played fabric bingo. It's a great idea, and I'll post pictures of my bingo "cards" so you can see what I'm talking about. We made 25-patches with the columns being colors: yellow, red, purple/pink, blue, green. Then within each color, we used fabrics to represent about 30 different categories; for example, novelty, 30's print, paisley, plaid, heart, star, stripe, solid, metallic, holiday, dot, etc. I think you get the idea. Then we used buttons to mark our spaces. The center space on the card was a free space, and filled in with black fabric.

So when we played the game, the caller would call out blue dot, or red heart, or yellow plaid, or green metallic, and we would fill in the spots with our buttons until someone had bingo. Then, after making certain they had all the fabrics marked and called correctly, the winner claimed a prize.

So as we're playing along, people at the same table kept winning time after time after time. It was way more than coincidence. Nobody else was winning anything--just these same women. Eventually, I figured out that they were just calling their fabrics whatever they wanted. So a floral might be a leaf, or a dot (if it had a dot on it anywhere), or it might be a geometric if the flower wasn't exactly realistic. In other words, any one square could be a half a dozen different things. And when they went through to check it, sometimes they couldn't even remember what they had called something. So the winner might say "red leaf," and the caller would say, "No, I didn't call red leaf."

And the person would say, "Oh, how about red floral."

"No?"

"Hm, Red holiday?" And on like this until they hit on the right square. So it turns out that they were cheating!!! Can you believe that?

Once I figured this out it started bugging me when the same women would claim one, two, three, four, or more prizes during the evening while the rest of us sat idle.

Eventually one of these women came over to our table and said, "I'm going to teach you ladies how to play bingo." And I said, "I wrote on the back of my fabrics what they were so there would be no mistake and I would know what I intended each square to be."

And she replied, "Oh we just play to get acquainted and to have fun."

And I said, "Well, it's not much fun when the same people win all the time." Further, they sit together all of the time each month, so there was no "getting acquainted" about it. Sheesh.

It was ridiculous. What's the use of playing a game with no rules? And if there are no rules, doesn't it make sense to tell everyone there are no rules so that we're all on the same, uh, card?

I'm still kind of miffed about it. It's just a dumb game, and maybe I'm being petty, but this is just one more reason I don't like my guild. There are a lot of things I like, and that's why I keep going, but the people are not one of them.

By the way, we donated our fabric bingo cards at the end of the evening and they'll be made into charity quilts. It's a good idea. Too bad these women had to spoil it for everyone else with their cheating ways.

Sorry, the pictures are posted sideways, the colors should be columns, not rows.
    Name:  Attachment-102206.jpe
Views: 734
Size:  64.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe you could post a "key" on each table next time, with a sample of each fabric and it's name.

Power Poster
    Who would ever have thought????

I would have been just plain POd about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Maybe you could post a "key" on each table next time, with a sample of each fabric and it's name.
    Well, see this is kind of what I did on my card because one fabric might pass for two different things. I wanted to be consistent. But everyone was playing with a different card, and so none of them were the same.

Well, the game sounds cute. It is a shame some of the "ladies" had to cheat. I would have been very upset.

Blog Entries
    We tried Quilt Bingo at our guild. It was like what you said. Many of the members used the wrong fabric for the wrong spot. They didn't mean to cheat it was just too confusing for them. We spent more time trying to get everyone to understand then it was worth. The ones that did do it right were getting frustrated with the ones that couldn't understand. We decided not to do quilt bingo anymore.

Blog Entries
    It can only take a few to spoil it for everyone... I am sorry that such a fun game turned sour for everyone else :(

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    We tried Quilt Bingo at our guild. It was like what you said. Many of the members used the wrong fabric for the wrong spot. They didn't mean to cheat it was just too confusing for them. We spent more time trying to get everyone to understand then it was worth. The ones that did do it right were getting frustrated with the ones that couldn't understand. We decided not to do quilt bingo anymore.
    I would rather not play than do it the way we were doing it. I'm a pretty honest person, although I won't say I never tell any white lies. Everyone does that. If you don't, you won't have many friends; i.e., "Does this make me look fat?"

But I would be hard pressed to cheat in a game, and so I'm never going to be able to play by the rules these ladies were using. It would be better not to do it at all. I suppose if we were all playing with the same card, and a key was provided . . . but the way we did it, it wasn't fair to everyone playing.

Power Poster
    Wonder if those ******* operate that way in all areas of their lives?

If one treats "friends" that way - - - -

Blog Entries
    sounded like alot of fun till the b*****s got hold of it.
    put them at a table with all white squares next time!!!!
    then see how HEY like it.
    Raspberries to them from me

Your cards are adorable! If everyone makes their own card maybe they should be required to make a key for it so they remember what they intended each square to be. At our quilt retreats we play bingo. We each bring 20 2 1/2 inch by wof strips. For each game we turn in 2 strips. Then we play bingo with ordinary bingo cards. The winner of the game gets the pile of strips. It is fun and hard to cheat.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    Your cards are adorable! If everyone makes their own card maybe they should be required to make a key for it so they remember what they intended each square to be. At our quilt retreats we play bingo. We each bring 20 2 1/2 inch by wof strips. For each game we turn in 2 strips. Then we play bingo with ordinary bingo cards. The winner of the game gets the pile of strips. It is fun and hard to cheat.
    That is a clever idea!

We play a fat quarter bingo at retreat, there is a sheet with quilt block names on it available so you all have the same choices, & you make up your own bingo card by writing down which ones you like. You pay 1 fat quarter per card, no limit but it gets a little too confusing after 2 or 3. The caller has all the names from the sheet in the basket & pulls one each time. Depending on how many members participate there are fat quarter prizes for eg. the 1st line of bingo, then maybe a diagonal line, then maybe an x, then the grand finale is for a blackout card that wins the largest bag of fat quarters. It's fun, especially if all members have purchased their fat quarters, not so fun if some have brought some crinkled old piece they had at home....but each to his own.

There are those in every group. They play dumb or cutsie to bend the rules to their liking. I wouldn't play this "game" in the future either!

Great idea! I think this game has all kinds of benefits, and I really like the charity quilt aspect. They just sew them together with sashing, and they are nice quilts! But if people are playing by different rules it isn't fair.

I did make a key for mine by writing on the back seam allowance of any square that was ambiguous. It's not difficult. But, of course, if winning is the most important thing, then it serves you better not to create a key.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Wow! That sounded like such a cool idea until I got to the end of your story. How sad that happened. Just reminds me of why I haven't joined the local quild.....

At Gulfport quilters in FL, we all made the quilt blocks and played Bingo at our quilting retreat. The next month, all the quilt blocks were turned into a beautiful quilt and given to the Senior center for an auction quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie Owen
    At Gulfport quilters in FL, we all made the quilt blocks and played Bingo at our quilting retreat. The next month, all the quilt blocks were turned into a beautiful quilt and given to the Senior center for an auction quilt.
    See, I like this sort of thing. The quilts turn out pretty too. It doesn't seem like so many different colors and kinds of fabric could look good together; but somehow, they do.

Blog Entries
    I ?might? be tempted to play by the same rules that those cheaters were using! Make the playing field equal. But make sure you shout loudly so they will know that you are copying them!

We play bingo at the quilt club I go to but we use regular bingo cards And we win fat quarters until there all gone.

It sounds like everyone needs to make their bingo cards to be like an I Spy quilt with all the squares being fussy cut to make each block so there's NO confusion on what each person is looking for. Sorry a few bad apples had to spoil the good time for everyone else!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We played fabric bingo at our retreat this weekend and they had the fabric cards and used pictures of the fabrics on the bingo "ball" and we could see the fabrics. It was fun in our group. Each gane we each bet 5 2-1/2 strips and the winner won them all. It was fun. We used buttons to mark the fabrics. This way no doubt which fabric was being called. Pictures were great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    We played fabric bingo at our retreat this weekend and they had the fabric cards and used pictures of the fabrics on the bingo "ball" and we could see the fabrics. It was fun in our group. Each gane we each bet 5 2-1/2 strips and the winner won them all. It was fun. We used buttons to mark the fabrics. This way no doubt which fabric was being called. Pictures were great idea.
    There definitely needs to be some way to make this fair for everyone. If I'm still going a year from now (they do this every year--I've only been a member for about six months), I'm going to get the rules clarified ahead of time. Either that or just skip the meeting. It could be fun, but when it gets me wound up like this, I just shouldn't participate.

We played quilt bingo at my guild also. Afterwards, we collected all the blocks and made a raffle quilt. You would not believe how pretty it turned out. I believe the "game" came from Fons and Porter.
    Barb

Blog Entries
    heres what we did, each player had only one card with the names being drawn...they had to use a sticky tag on each block with their interpretation of the fabric. yellow flower, red dot, blue strip etc. Then there was no way they could change it. Worked...they make cute charity quilts when your done with them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast