Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you have a lot of bobbins with bits of thread?

What do you do when you have a lot of bobbins with bits of thread?

I have just finished several projects and have a bunch of bobbins that are about 1/4 full. Too much to pull off and too little to save. I was thinking of using the bobbins up when I piece a project that has similar color fabric.

Do you pull it off the bobbin or ????
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

This seems to be a universal problem. I usually use up the odd bits when I am piecing trying to use a colour that is close to what I am sewing. If I can "see" the bobbin through what is left I usually pull it off and re-wind.

I try to use it up when piecing something, but pull it off if I need a bobbin. Of course, buying more bobbins solved that problem -- lol.

I use them for machine basting around the edges of quilts that will be covered by binding. Or use them on scrappy quilt piecing.

Power Poster
    I use up my bobbins when I am working on my Spiderweb scrap quilt. Since I am using all different coloured scraps, the thread colour really doesn't matter.

I try to use it with a similar color. If I need a bobbin and I can see the plastic through what's left on the bobbin, then I pull it off.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Usually it's colored thread that is left on my not used up bobbins. I pull it off and stick in a ziploc bag. When the mood strikes to be crafty, I layer the thread between water solvable web and sew it all together. Then I cut shapes out of it. Great for decorating totes and other projects.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 11-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I close my eyes and throw them away -usually!

If I am doing something where color doesn't matter, I always try to use a low bobbin to get it to empty off.

However, if I need a free bobbin, I do just pull it off. Here I try to pick a bobbin that is a)very low and b)very cheap. I have a low bobbin with expensive silk thread on it, I won't pull that off!

When you have lots of thread bits, it's time to make a scrap quilt and use them up! The many colours will work out just fine and you'll be left with empty bobbins.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I generally use them up when I can, but I stick them on top of the machine so I can see when they run out easier.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I have just finished several projects and have a bunch of bobbins that are about 1/4 full. Too much to pull off and too little to save. I was thinking of using the bobbins up when I piece a project that has similar color fabric.

Do you pull it off the bobbin or ????
    I just use it up while piecing. Sometimes though there is so little left on the bobbin, I pull it off. Singer used to sell bobbins that screwed apart so that you could pull the thread off, but they do not make them anymore, I guess. I used to find it very convenient, and sometimes now I wish they still make them!!!

I use it for basting. If I need the bobbin I just wind those odd pieces of threads on
    an empty spool. I may have 10 different threads on one spool.

I use up all those bobbins when I am doing a crazy quilt or a scrap. I just put in one after the other until they are all used up...since I am using different colors anyway, it doesn't matter. I do the same with my big Gammilll bobbins. I just rewind the residue to my regular bobbins. I do not waste thread, too expensive......

Power Poster
    I usually use it up - I've learned that exactly matching isn't important any more.

You can use the bobbin on the top too. That way you use them up faster and get your empty bobbins back

There is no rule that says you have to use top and bottom threads the same color so when piecing just use it up. I don't have that problem.

I store my partial bobbins with my thread. That way the next time I use that thread, I've got a bobbin waiting.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I agree, use it up!!! I only sew quilts, where no one really sees the thread color anyway. Thread is wayyyy to expensive to waste, and I shudder when I think of tossing it in the trash!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I store my partial bobbins with my thread. That way the next time I use that thread, I've got a bobbin waiting.
    This is what I do too! Every spool of thread with the exception of black and white has their own bobbin. I use Bobbin Mates, which are the little blue plastic rods that you stick in the end of your spool of thread to keep your thread and bobbins together. http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=301 I also use the Bobbin Wraps which are little elastic hair ties to keep the bobbins from unwinding. http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...riteria=bobbin
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I usually use them up in smaller projects. If it is only a little bit, my kids just LOVE to take off the thread.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I, too just use them up in my next pieceing project. Dark thread with dark fabric and light thread with light fabric. I have never had any trouble of guilt doing this
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I keep many colors for my apparel machine, but for my piecing machine, I only have 7 bobbins so I empty them by using them as top thread. The 301 isn't the easier machine to change the bobbin on, so I tend to not use them there.

Since I only have 6 bobbins for my vintage Pfaff, I have to have a system. Black, white, and off-white each has its own bobbin. The other 3 bobbins have to hold everything else, so I use them up on odd projects and even though I have read somewhere that it shouldn't be done, I will sometimes wind a different color thread on top of a bobbin that still has some thread on it.

I will use them for piecing, usually darker colors. I will use them for piecing, I don't worry if they really match. If I need a bobbin and I'm using lighter thread than on the bobbin, I will pull it off and throw away. I have lots of threads and don't mind throwing away a few feet every so often.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast