Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish cheapness >

Foolish cheapness

Foolish cheapness

Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM

I'm cheap on clothing, buy at Goodwill, Dollar store, and clearance every where. I need my money for fabric and notions, that is more important to me. Why pay big bucks for clothes when you can get great used stuff. I have found stuff at Goodwill and the like with tags still on them. I don't wear name brand, if they want me to advertise for them, they can pay me to wear their stuff.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I'm cheap about clothing too but I buy most of my clothes online at clearance sales of my favorite brands. I just bought a Land's End long sleeve knit turtleneck for $5 and free shipping. I watch for deals.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Have done all of those things in my relatively short quilting career! I did recover my ironing board, but used a towel for padding, some upholstery fabric and safety pins to hold it together. It looks amazingly good and it works!

I pinned it on because my DH is supposed to put a new top made of wood on it. I had a wooden top ironing board I loved - picked it up at Good Will. He thought it had asbestos in the padding, and took the entire thing to the dump and put it in hazardous waste.

He was probably right, and I went along with it - after all it's my health he was thinking of! But I do miss it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM

I have been buying seam rippers....starting to get a collection of them...no meaning to, i just want to find on that works well. I am amazed on how tough that is.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
How many holes in your ironing board cover should you have before you replace it? Mine only has 3 so I think it's still good for awhile.
Too funny! My last one had several tears that slowly inched their way across the board like cracks in a windshield. I finally gave in and replaced it because the tip of my iron kept getting caught in them.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM

I have a hand needle I use all the time that has a slight curve in it; it stays sharp because of the emery strawberry I keep it in. For non-sewing items, kitchen sponges.