Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a quilting dilemma >

Need help with a quilting dilemma

Need help with a quilting dilemma

Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM

I think part of the "stiffness" is the fact that there are so many layers everywhere there is a connecting "border" -- I made a strip pieced scrappy quilt, and didn't even use backing or batting, just the foundation and the strings, and it is heavy and unwieldy. I plan to use it in my car, as a picnic/tailgating blanket, but doubt I would ever make one again. At least, not where I bought and cut strips (I was new to quilting at the time, and didn't know about "scrap quilting" using up what was left over) I probably have a small fortune tied up in that quilt
Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I wanted to learn to QAYG until I saw a tute on how you attach each block together. It seemed like a hassle to ME and I decided that I didn't want to QAYG anymore. For some reason I thought you just sewed the blocks to each other. When I found out how much work was involved in attaching them to each other, I decided I would rather just piece my tops and send them out like I always do. Big thumps up to people who QAYG! There's a lot of work involved in making those quilts!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM

If you are really ready to tackle a new method of quilting, then continue ahead. Just be prepared for it to maybe take a bit longer than planned since you will be learning as you go. Since there are so many blocks, though, my suggestion would be to take apart the one block and then finish the quilt the way in which you know best. You can always make a small wall hanging by quilting a block at a time some time in the future. That way, if you find that method is not to your liking then you haven't invested so much effort into the current blocks you have. Hope you'll post a final pic when you're done...good luck with your choice!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Im not sure why it is stiffer, it just is. Could be the way it is quilted since it is different than an all over quilting. I use the same batting I always use 80/20.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 AM

I agree with this approach - I like the idea of keeping the original quilter's block intact as a small wall hanging.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
If you can find the same colors, remake the block and use the already quilted and batted block for a pillow or carry tote.
Or can you get by without the quiltied block and use the batted on for something else as indicated above?