Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with a quilting dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-quilting-dilemma-t205328.html)

carolccharl 11-07-2012 06:24 AM

Need help with a quilting dilemma

I have inherited 28 beautiful star blocks, made in different shades of lavender. There is one block in the group that has been batted, backed and quilted. I don't know if the owner's intention was to continue with the entire quilt this way, or if I should put it together the conventional way of sewing the blocks together and treating the entire quilt as a whole for finishing. I have never worked on the individual blocks in this way, and would like some feedback....
Thanks so much for your wonderful website and advice.

Quiltngolfer 11-07-2012 06:41 AM

I think I would pick out the quilting on that block and put it together as a whole to quilt. I am not a fan of the way QAYG quilts look. Just do it the way you feel comfortable quilting. It will turn out great.

barking-rabbit 11-07-2012 06:43 AM

I would pick the batted block apart and sew it together the conventional way or the way you usually do.

JNCT14 11-07-2012 07:16 AM

If you can find the same colors, remake the block and use the already quilted and batted block for a pillow or carry tote.

Dina 11-07-2012 07:25 AM

I have to agree, I would pick out the quilting and do what you are used to doing.

Dina

JenniePenny 11-07-2012 07:27 AM

Sometimes we feel a sense of obligation to finish it as the quilter intended- I know this because I inherited approximately 12 WIPs from my mentor. However, I came to realize that the original quilter would be pleased and honored to have you finish the project YOUR way. I would use 25 of the blocks to make a top, use 2 on the back, and keep the batted block as an accessory wall hanging. Best of luck with the project!

Rose Marie 11-07-2012 07:28 AM

QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.

rush88888 11-09-2012 03:05 AM

you could continue on as the original owner did and learn a new skill.

judi_lynne 11-10-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5640873)
QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.

A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi

ckcowl 11-10-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by judi_lynne (Post 5647922)
A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi

that kind of puzzled me---i've made a number of quilt as you go quilts- i've never had one come out 'stiff' ???
i have seen a 'Cotton Theory quilt' that was kind of stiff---there was so much dense quilting on it- but it even softened up when it was laundered...mine have never been stiff. stiffness depends on the batting used & the density of the quilting- some quilts are stiff even if not done qayg---i don't think that method is the determining factor....the batting/quilting density is the determining factor-i've seen hand quilted quilts quilted so densely they were like boards when finished-