Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will this work?

I got this twin sheet at a thrift store for 50 cents. I wondered if it would work for a stack and wack or OBW ? I really like the sheet and may end up using it for backing but want to try one of these quilts and for 50 cents thought it would be great to practice if it will work.
    Rae
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    I don't see a OBW from this, but it would make a beautiful quilt cut up in patches.
    Maybe a fussy cut Kaleidoscope pattern? Or fussy cutting the stripes to use in a pinwheel block? :D:D:D

I don't think it will work for stack and whack but I have not made one. It relys on the repeated pattern in the fabric and I'm not sure how you would figure out the repeat on this sheet. Maybe Dunster will chime in.

That's a pretty sheet.

I think it will work for OBW - just move the center of your medallion around so that you pick up different parts of the stripes. Some can be with the stripes in the sheet going from the center to the outside, and some can be with the stripes going around the medallion. You may not have such a dynamic variation in blocks with this sheet as you would with a floral, etc, but it will work and since it's your first one and you like the sheet, go for it.

It looks like it would make great borders

Do you have 6 repeats on that fabric?

Wow! What a great deal! I just usually find solids....

Check out this pattern.

http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/ima...rge/MIQ153.jpg

I saw a finished product at my LQS and they had chosen a stripe that was mixed with a floral. The floral was somewhat larger and they used that to do some really creative quilting. I've got a picture of how they quilted it on my phone but I can't figure out how to get from my to my PC!! If I figure it out I'll post it.

Your fabric would be perfect for it, and it looks easy. I bought the pattern. Basically you cut 9 1/2" squares square to the stripe on point, then cut more squares tilted. Then you section all of the squares into two squares (large and small) and two even sized rectangles. Then you mix and match them. Then you just swap the rectangles. The pattern is easy enough to change the size of the square, add more, etc to make larger or smaller. And the stripe fabric accompanied with a solid is perfect for the borders.

Sue

nice fabric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast