Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: William Morris Quilt Info

Blog Entries
    I am getting ready to start my William Morris quilt and I have a question. I purchased quite a bit of background fabric online that looked ideal. It is nice fabric but I can see my hand through it. Can anyone advise me if that would be too thin or not? I have always appliqued with new fabric but understand I have to prewash the fabric for this quilt in order for the fusible to stick and it can not be starched. Any response will be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Is it so thin that you should put a permanent foundation behind it? I have done that too, with thin fabric for the background, thinking by the time I add batting and backing, it would be OK - but you can see the 1/4" seams thru on the top and I don't like that. When I was experimenting and learning different techniques of applique, it wasn't such a bad thing, but now I prefer to use a bit heavier (I love Kona) for the background. It also has a better feel, I think, and not so flimsy-I am looking forward to others comments too.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Jill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Is it so thin that you should put a permanent foundation behind it? I have done that too, with thin fabric for the background, thinking by the time I add batting and backing, it would be OK - but you can see the 1/4" seams thru on the top and I don't like that. When I was experimenting and learning different techniques of applique, it wasn't such a bad thing, but now I prefer to use a bit heavier (I love Kona) for the background. It also has a better feel, I think, and not so flimsy-I am looking forward to others comments too.
    Kona is always my choice for whites and any solids that I use! Fabric.com has it on sale for $4.23 and free shipping when you spend $35

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    Kona is always my choice for whites and any solids that I use! Fabric.com has it on sale for $4.23 and free shipping when you spend $35

Just placed an order. Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    [/quote]

Just placed an order. Thanks for the tip![/quote]

You are welcome!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

Thanks. I will order some today.