Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wish I'd been a better quilter

Since I started quilting, I've always been a good "piecer", but not such a great machine quilter. The result is, my early quilts are well-made, and I love the patterns and colors, but I wish the quilting was better.
    I've gotten way better at machine quilting with every quilt I've made, (practice makes perfect!) and now I feel like most of my quilting is up to par with my piecing, but I look at my older quilts and think, This would be such a nicer quilt if the quilting was better!
    Anybody else?

I try not to do that...my early stuff was BAD! But when I do I look at it in amazement of how far I've come. =)

Blog Entries
    I don't look back on my early quilts that way. I made each one to the best of my ability :wink: and I am very proud of them all :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    As I progress in my quilting I hope to remember that I couldn't have made the better quilts, if I hadn't progressed through the simplier quilts. I am loving each quilt as I make it. I hope to have fond memories of each years from now of giving them to loved ones and their joy in recieving them as gifts from me.

Blog Entries
    only you see the mistakes........others see beauty and love

Quote Originally Posted by Lucymae
    only you see the mistakes........others see beauty and love
    My DH said the same thing-

i love to see how all quilters evolve it is a journey

Everything I've made has been complimented by my husband, even if I think it sucks! He's always supported my quilting and I really appreciate his compliments. All of my earlier quilts have a newbie look to them, but as I progressed the quality got better. Now they look so much nicer and I think that too.

MTS
    Banned
    I have gone back and redone the bindings on around a dozen quilts from the early days. I was pleased with the quilt but as I progressed I realized how pathetic my early attempts at finishing them had been.

So I took them off, repressed, refolded and resewed them so they were nicely stuffed with perfect miters.

And on each one I ended up with about a foot of binding left over. :roll:

My very, very first top, however, if deeply buried in a bag in a box in a crate. ;-)

Blog Entries
    You couldn't have gotten to where you are now without those earlier quilts. They have made you the quilter you are now. Celebrate them! Hopefully you enjoyed the journey.