Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha! >

Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha!

Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha!

Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 AM

If I'm particularly fond of a quilt made for a gift I tend to hang onto it for a while before gifting.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

I love my quilts, but tend to get rid of them pretty quickly, in fact I had a pottery barn quilt on my bed for years. When the bought our new house 8 years ago I thought about making ( us) a quilt but it still took 5 years. Now we have 3 for our bed. But, I tend to let them go almost as quickly as I get them made. To have them stuffed away in a closet or somewhere would stress me out- I wouldn't be able to keep making them.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:38 AM

Of the 60 or so quilts that I've made so far, about 1/3 of them reside in our home, but almost all of them are currently in use. My daughters each have about 5 of my quilts. A couple for their beds, which are rotated based on season and mood, a flannel one for taking on camping trips and dragging to the living room, a couple of doll quilts. My husband and I also have a couple for our bed, a snuggle quilt in our favorite chair. A few for the guest room bed, and another quilt on every sofa and chair in the family room and living room. I have no problem giving away quilts. Often a project is started with a recipient in mind, but sometimes I start a quilt because I like a pattern or feel I need to use a certain fabric. While I'm working on a project, I sometimes find myself thinking of a certain person a lot, and eventually it becomes their quilt. I usually have a few quilts finished, but with no home. These eventually find a home, when a quilt giving occasion comes up
Old 09-07-2015, 04:39 AM

I usually know who a quilt will go to before I begin. Sometimes I just make a small sized quilt for fun (Like some of Judy's Mystery Train quilts) and by the time it's finished, a 'need' pops up and the quilt is ready for the recipient. Amazing how that works!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
If I make a quilt FOR someone, I have no problems giving it to them. If I just make a quilt because I like the pattern or want to make a quilt, I have a very difficult time passing it on. Hence, I have a whole closet full to the brim of quilts.
I love making quilts for others but when I am just making them because I like the pattern and fabric, then I get hooked. I think I know that others will not take care of the quilt and that does bother me. I know others say that when you give it away, it's gone. But when I see a quilt (that cost me $250 and a great deal of time making it) looking like a dishrag about a year later, it makes me ill. I knew a woman who spent 6 months appliquing a baby quilt for the first great grandson and when she was able to see the baby, the family dog was sleeping on it.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 AM

if i make it for someone i have a curious detachment from it from the beginning. it's full of thoughts about the person it's for, but i don't ever seem to wish i could keep it. it's a little harder if it's one imade without an owner in mind, though i recently sold a quilt i liked very much because it just wasn't really my styleand totally belonged where itwas going. the same thing happened with a quilt i unexpectedly sold, and loved much more finished than i did in process.

the comfort is in the joy they bring to others. but there are a few in this house that aren't going anywhere as long as i draw breath!

aileen
Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 AM

So far I haven't made anything larger than a twin, but have made quite a few baby quilts, changing mats, and a quilt for each of my kids - who are now older and longer and need new ones they tell me! haha

I used to make them and save them but that seemed to take away the joy of making them. Now I only make them to give away. I feel much better when I make something for someone than when I make it to just stash it. Also, I have to love it to give it. If I start hating it I'll take it apart and use what I've sewn for scraps and start over, or I'll re-evaluate the fabric or pattern - whichever it is that is annoying me - or I'll just crumple it up and trash it. Yup, I've done that.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530008[/ATTACH]This one I made for a co-workers daughter who was getting married and I had no problem gifting it to her. But my flying geese and the one I dubbed "The Sea Monster" I can't seem to part with! OH! And of course, my rooster quilt ain't goin' no where! [ATTACH=CONFIG]530009[/ATTACH] For some reason the sea monster wouldn't load just now so I'll try to figure that out later But I'm gonna have to learn not to get so attached to the quilts I make from now on 'cause I'm a new partner in an established quilt shop with a longarm machine that I'm loving more each time I use it so the sky is the limits for me now!
Attached Thumbnails photo06181910.jpg   rooster20142.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 06:43 AM

Sometimes I make them with someone in mind and sometimes because I like the pattern. I have several baby quilt tops to finish because I like to pass them along to new babies coming down the pike. My quilts are not masterpieces but made with love and I want to pass them along to others to use daily not to "keep for good" as my mother used to say. My son is 13 and still loves his flannel hand-tied lamb blankie a friends mother made. I have no idea if it was made just for him or one she had on hand. But I always remember this sweet lady and the love in that little quilt. I am not sure the giver even remembers she gave it but it is precious to my family.
Plus there is more joy in giving than in piling things in the house.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 AM

I have about a dozen stored on a spare bed. Just change the top one for a new look. I am with tovelry, if someone sees one and says my daughter would like that, I give it to them. Which is what happened one time. Think it was the first one I gave away. But I too am attached to mine too; must be a quilters 'thing'.