Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting recommendations? >

Wool Batting recommendations?

Wool Batting recommendations?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Wool Batting recommendations?

Last Winter was pretty darn cold. I was still cold underneath two cotton batting quilts! I'm thinking maybe I better make a couple of quilts with Wool batting, but I never have use it before. I've heard of some undesirable results, so I'm wondering if someone can tell me which brands they've had good results with. Thanks so much
Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I have heard good things about Hobbs wool batting. That would be my choice.

I don't have it handy, but one of the QB members had a bad experience with Quilter's Dream wool bearding. If I can find that thread, I will post it.

Edit: I think this is the thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t222212.html
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Hobbs wool is wonderful, washes well without excessive shrinkage, keeps me warm in the winter and not too hot in the spring/summer/is easy-easy to handquilt (tiny bit of bearding which has not continued as I've washed it several times), has no odor or scratchiness through the top or backing fabric. I love it!

Jan in VA
Old 06-06-2015, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

I love, love, love wool batting! I use either Hobbs or Dream wool. Both are fabulous to work with, lightweight but lofty, they do not shrink like cotton. If I could afford it I would use it in all my quilts.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:21 AM

I've used Hobbs in the past with great results, much easier to hand quilt. I'm trying to get a large top pieced to try on the longarm.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I've used Pellon Legacy wool and loved the results.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:58 AM

I have used Quilter's Dream wool on my longarm, and it's now my favorite batt.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:29 AM

I had really nice results with Hobbs. I would really like to use it more but it really adds to the cost of a large quilt. I plan to use it in all the bed quilts I make in the future.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:21 AM

I suggest going to your local thrift store, Volunteers of America, Goodwill, garage sale, etc., and see if you can find an old wool blanket. Here (in Michigan) I can usually pick one up for under $5. I simply wash and dry the blanket before using to make sure it will stay the same size. Since it's used, I'll wash it to begin with anyway! I used hot water/hot dryer with one blanket, which felted it, so it resulted in a heavy, stiff quilt with no draping quality which was what I intended-- because I use it for a 'door' for the stairway leading upstairs to keep the heat on the main floor in the winter. It's the last time I'll do that! It was murder to machine quilt-- it killed my walking foot. (A felted wool batting is really cool for a wall hanging too.) For a bed quilt I chose a very very thin wool blanket that showing good draping itself after washing with cold water/cool dryer. I simply continue to launder the quilt the same way and have had no problems with it.

I know some people like all new modern 'ingredients' for their quilts, which I like to do too, but I enjoy also creating with the old-school attitude for quilt making, that follows the American settler type tradition, where you use what patches, scraps, liner, etc. that you have.

Wool certainly seems to make a warmer quilt than cotton or polyester. Wool does have weight though. Sometimes on a cold night several quilts can feel like a ton over you... If only there was a way to make batting with feathers! A quilt top cover over a down comforter is just not the same as a true quilt. :-)
Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for responding; you've been very helpful.