Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mats--do you have one and like it? >

Wool pressing mats--do you have one and like it?

Wool pressing mats--do you have one and like it?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Default Wool pressing mats--do you have one and like it?

My LQS has the wool pressing mats and rave about them--have one friend that also has one and likes it. I am trying to "break" the steam habit as I don't pre-wash for the most part and think that my steam may be shrinking my blocks some.
So I'm wondering if you have one of these pressing mats and if so what makes them so special? the price is sure high!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:22 PM

I have been using one for a month or so..it makes my blocks Very flat! it will be nice to take to class too!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 PM

I splurged for one a few months ago but haven't been able to arrange my sewing room to be able to use it. I think I will make it a point to see if it helps with my accurateness as well.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:26 AM

I've had one for more than a year. I love it! I do use steam in my iron though. It makes the seams and blocks lay SO much flatter. I held off for a while because of the cost but it is well worth the investment. I'm actually considering buying the larger wool mat now which is $80 at one of the LQS. However, don't toss your matt on the floor if you have cats. They think it's a fantastic scratch pad.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:23 AM

Two things-----there was a previous thread about alternative source for these(less costly), and also the fact that if you use one make sure it's not on a wood base...the heat penetrates the wool and can cause damage to wood, just an FYI.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 AM

I have one and find the best way is with steam. Does make seams flatter. If you goggle wool pressing mats there are places where they are cheaper than Quilt Shops. I paid less than $25 and it fits nicely on my ironing board or by my machine.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:40 AM

I did follow the advice given by someone earlier on the board about this topic. I bought a piece of wool padding (intended for rugs) and couldn’t be happier. I just ironed 512 small pieces (HSTs) and it totally flattened them. I used steam. The only thing I noticed is that I could smell the “wool smell” the process produced. However, I ironed the next step of the quilt (strips of HSTs), and again, it was flatter than anything I have done. I will put up with a slight smell that doesn’t stay on the fabric and disappears soon after I am done ironing for those kinds of results. Get the mat!!!!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 AM

I have one and love it. As others have stated my blocks are flatter and easier to press. If you use steam make sure the surface under the mat is protected as steam will penetrate though the mat and it gets very hot. I will usually press without steam or have steam set to the lowest level.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I was in Paducah at Quilt in a Day. The Eleanor's bundle package included a good size wool mat. I haven't used it yet but they were selling like crazy at the vendors that had them.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 AM

I love mine, I bought the large one. But hubby complains of the "wet dog" smell. It doesn't bother me.