Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A whole new spin on laundry - no rinse - delicate wash for your quilts and wool mats

A whole new spin on laundry - no rinse - delicate wash for your quilts and wool mats

A family member, brought her sons quilt back to me as she had washed the quilt many times thoroughly and there was no intact batting inside the outer fabrics.

Now, when I make quilts for friends and family, I always include a couple of color catchers, and a small bottle of this Eucalan laundry product I found when we travelled across Canada. The sheep business staff suggested that it is very hard on the batting in my quilts to put the quilt through a regular cycle on my washing machine. This was the solution I was looking for and I thought I would share with my fellow quilters on this wonderful and helpful information sharing board.

There is a whole new spin on laundry, no rinse delicate wash, lanolin enriched concentrate detergent called "Eucalan" with different scented oil, the one I purchased is eucalyptus scented. You just fill your top loading washing machine with tepid water, add the Eucalan - 1 tsp Eucalan per 1 gallon of water, stop your machine, load your washables -
    Do not Adjitate and soak for 30 minutes - By-Pass the rinse cycle, and Spin out the water. No Need to rinse. I purchased mine through a sheep wool farm outlet in Ontario, Canada. My bottle cost $12.50 plus shipping. You can also get a smaller bottle of this product.

You could soak your wool pressing mat in this and then let it dry flat. I just place mine on a towel on the ironing board overnight. I also made a couple of long pillow cases for my mat, so when it gets soiled, I can change and wash it and then put on the other one.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-13-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Great information. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    that would be great except most modern washers don't let you fill the tub with water.
    mine will not let me decide for myself how much water i want to use.
    even the so-called "deep water wash" is a bad joke.

i tried filling it manually, using a garden hose.
    did not turn on the washer.
    after a few minutes, the washer turned itself on and drained/spun out all the water.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    Sometimes "new and improved" isn't all that great.

I guess it could be soaked in a tub and then drained and carried to the washer for the final drain/spin
    Alyce

This does sound like a wonderful product but Patrice is right, and in addition to the limitations on most modern washing machines I think this would also present an issue for front loaders. In my experience, when batting doesn't hold up in a quilt this is usually caused by insufficient quilting. Not meeting the minimum batting requirements for spacing between quilting. And batting that says you can quilt up to 10" apart, like W&N I have found that is way too far apart for the quilt to hold up. To much pressure is put on the piecing seams and they pop and the fabric shrinks differently from the batting and often looks unsightly in large unquilted areas. I remember making some placemats for my mom when I first started quilting. I used W&N and only quilted the minimum as recommended by the batting. I was visiting my mom and found the placemats in her linen closet and they were an unsightly wrinkled mess. No wonder she didn't use them after washing the first time.

I'm a quilter so understand all this, but if I was not and someone gave me an item that needed real specific washing, I'd probably put it in the closet and not use it. I'm also that way about my clothing, I've got a few sweaters that need special care so they never get worn.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

My new top loaded washer has no self adjustment water levels, and locked lid so I couldn't open it once started. DH disconnected the lid lock (it's electric) and to get a decent water level I have to use Super water level and it barely covers two bed sheets. I have a pause button. I have learned not to touch it. The washer gets confused and starts all over.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I know some washers have a mind of their own. Mine lets me fill the tub and as long as I don't close the lid, it will sit just there. Ask me how I know.

Power Poster
    is this product specific fof wool battings.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning about it having lanolin. I have family members who are allergic to lanolin, so I will definitely avoid this product!

it is probably all good advice, but giving instructions for out of the ordinary washing materials and the lay it flat, and ever so gentle rocking in a bath tub and no spin cycle, and color catchers, to me, cancel out the idea of a quilt for a gift, made with love. Tell them to use it with abandon, and joy, and warmth, wash and wear, and when it wears out I'll make another one.

Blog Entries
    I have washed mine in an old washer with agitator and been fine. now i have a GE top loader again but it hardly agitates at all. does a bit, stops, does a bit, stops. my clothes come out clean and my quilts do too. in good shape also. I think she was just plain rough on the quilts and if you make another one, make it a rag quilt or at least something sturdy, very sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    that would be great except most modern washers don't let you fill the tub with water.

after a few minutes, the washer turned itself on and drained/spun out all the water.
    Haha! Yeah, well it can't think for itself if I unplug it, lol. My front loader doesn't just spin dry. That's a lie it perpetrates. It sprays it with cold water, *then* spins and dries. But if I turn off the cold water, it doesn't notice, and spins it like I wanted it to all along. However, if I forget to turn the water back on, and someone else comes along to do aload of laundry, it has a specific error code for "Hey! I'm tryna do laundry here!" DDIL just found out the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post

Now, when I make quilts for friends and family, I always include a couple of color catchers, and a small bottle of this Eucalan laundry product I found when we travelled across Canada. The sheep business staff
    I've heard of Eucalan from that former life in woolensland, but I've never used it in person, and somehow I missed that it was no rinse. I invented a wool wash for use with woolen diaper soakers, which I thought was kind of like it, and it might be, but I think mine is probably much more lanoliny. Mines not really for washing, its for re-lanolining/ So, definitely not a Peckish-approved product, right?

I have an old top loading washer plumbed up outside my back door which I use for washing quilts and fabric as my front loader is too small for my quilts. I've never had a problem with the batting seperating etc, my quilts wash and wear just fine but then I usually do quite close allover quilting so perhaps that's the key. I do use a woollen wash detergent but it is one easily found in the supermarkets and is nothing "special". My exception to this is I advise when I gift a table runner that it be gently hand washed in cool water and laid flat to dry then ironed/pressed.

My quilts do great with the way I launder them. I would never hand launder any size quilt. Would be absolutely impossible to wring water out, rinse and wring water out again.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    My quilts do great with the way I launder them. I would never hand launder any size quilt. Would be absolutely impossible to wring water out, rinse and wring water out again.
    What I think too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Eucalan is a good product. Comparable to Woolite, except you can't use Woolite on wool. Go figure. Euclan is great for washing yarn too. And a bit less expensive at WM.

My takeaway: I should Really be appreciating my 20 yr old top loading washer much more than I have been. After all the washer comments on QB lately, I'm in no hurry to replace it! Fingers crossed it lasts another 20 yrs. Like old wine and old cars.
    Last edited by mindless; 12-13-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Mindless said:

My takeaway: I should Really be appreciating my 20 yr old top loading washer much more than I have been. After all the washer comments on QB lately, I'm in no hurry to replace it! Fingers crossed it lasts another 20 yrs. Like old wine and old cars.
    [/QUOTE]

Me too!! I have a 20+ year old top loader. 4 different load levels, I can manually let the water go, double spin, and have to remember to close the lid or it will just sit there and soak!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

Two words: Speed Queen.

Yeah the fancy he washers are a pain. Bought one (Maytag he) to replace my old 30 year old Maytag top loader. Hate it! I like to decide how much water goes on my clothing and if I want it soak or scrub a tub mat … or wash cucumbers for pickling! And can't really tell when the washer if full...
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
    Yeah the fancy he washers are a pain. Bought one (Maytag he) to replace my old 30 year old Maytag top loader. Hate it! I like to decide how much water goes on my clothing and if I want it soak or scrub a tub mat … or wash cucumbers for pickling! And can't really tell when the washer if full...
    Cucumbers in your washer????? Explain please!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
    Two words: Speed Queen.
    YES! We had a repairman visit recently and I asked about the Speed Queen. He thought they were a good machine, but need to be on a cement pad and stated that they do make a lot of noise.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

While I appreciate modern appliances, I DO WISH appliance makers would let us make choices for ourselves!!! Granted, some of us need to be protected from ourselves, but most of us manage on our own without over-zealous manufacturers trying to think for us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast