Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with Flannels >

Working with Flannels

Working with Flannels

Old 03-08-2009, 05:20 PM

always...ALWAYS !!! wash flannel because of the amount
of shrinkage it has. wonderful fabric til it shrinks up on you.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I always prewash flannel because some of it shrinks a *lot*, and it does ravel more than other cottons.

When I worked with flannel, I followed Sandy Bonsib's advice and used 1/2-inch seams rather than 1/4-inch seams. Also, I starched the flannels heavily before cutting, to stabilize them. Both of these helped make perfect joins. Flannel has a tendency to move around a lot when you are sewing it, and starch really helps with that.

I prewashed and dried the flannel, then "painted" it with a 1:1 solution of liquid Sta-Flo starch and water, tossed the fabric in the dryer, and ironed it with steam. This made it perfectly stable for cutting. The 1/2-inch seams are a good idea because flannel is relatively loosely woven; it prevents the seams from pulling apart later because of frays.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 AM

I just did flannel and I didn't prewash because I used a Jelly roll, I didn't have a problem with it shirking to where it ripped the seams out.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM

I have used flannels to make raggedy quilts. If they are not all the same type of flannel I prewash because they don't all shrink the same. I always throw a Shout Color Catcher in when washing them just in case of fading. My friend was making a raggedy baby quilt and she is not a "pre-washer" but you have to with raggedy quilts in the end to get the "look" and when she did the bright pink faded on the white, she was so upset and threw them out immediately. I think she could have rewashed them with a color catcher and saved the project. Before prewashing if you don't have a serger I fold the material wrong sides facing and use saftey pins on each of the corners and a couple in between. That helps keep the material from tangling. I take it out before completly dry then iron it.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM

I wash and dry at least three times. I've not had trouble with it bleeding yet!!

simple quilter
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 AM

Pre-wash, because if the mom is like my daughter, she washed everything before my grandson even sat on it. Most of the babies can't have blankets except on the floor until they are old enough to roll.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
I am trying to plan out a baby quilt for an expecting friend, and picked up some cute flannel prints. I have a few questions, hopefully you ladies can share your wisdom with me.

1. Pre wash vs. no pre Wash, I know normally its an all or nothing king of thing. Either I should prewash all the fabrics or not prewash. Is flannel any different? I got some beautiful blue, but am slightly concerned it will bleed, but then am worried about shrinkage...(I didn't think about this at the store, and didnt' get extra).

2. Shrinkage, how much does flannel generally shrink, and do the edges fray like other fabrics?

3. Children's Sleepwear flannel. I saw the signs at Joann's that say not safe for childrens sleepwear. All the flannel I bought was from the snuggle flannel section and doesn't say anything about childrens sleepwear. Obviously I want the little bambino to be safe, but how do I know which flannels are safe?

Thanks in advance!
I have made many flannel quilts. I ALWAYS prewash flannel...because of SHRINKING and DYE. I only use 100 per cent cotton flannel. ALL COTTON fabrics are flammable...I would prefer all cotton on anyone rather than something that had flame retardant chemicals in it. .. btw iI am a RN. I just finished a raggety flannel quilt for a neighbor going through chemo and am making one for my grandaughter for her bday.

Margie

BTW....I live in PA brrr cold...have used flannel sheets on beds all my life....wear flannel nightgowns and Pjs on self and family....If you dont use that flannel for pjs and blankets...what are you going to use it for anyway lol.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the info on flannel,new at this ,wanted to make my grandson a flannel quilt ,had heard it would stretch.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM

I wish I saw these postings earlier. I just finished a lap quilt with flannel backing that I did not pre wash. The top is 100 % cottons. Will cold water wash and dry flat prevent shrinkage?