Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Workshops & Quilting Classes >

Workshops & Quilting Classes

Workshops & Quilting Classes

Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 AM

I've taken a few classes and was glad I did-I learned a lot. Our local paper featured a quilt artist who has opened a studio and helps quilters. I was glad to learn about the studio. My grand niece wants me to make her a signature quilt. I've got the squares done. Now I'm trying to learn free motion quilting and not doing so well. A lesson or two or learning on a long arm might just be in my future. The quilt has to be done on their 1st anniversary - end of June. Yikes! Without guidance, I don't think it would be as nice. Learning from others helps me so much. I hope you have a good experience with any class or retreat. Good luck and good quilting!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 AM

I used to go to alot more but got so disappointed at the shop that sold me my emb machine and software, they kept telling me they'd do training and never did so after years of empty promises I said mess on them. I'm on the Tidewater Sew n Vac mailing list and they sponsor Brother, Floriani, Anita Goodesigns, John Deer, etc so when any of them come to town I normally go. You get more in your goodie bag than what you spend for the class and learn so much. Plus, if you need supplies, its the best time to get them. I also go to the Hampton Roads quilt show every year. This year I actually won a stand alone emb machine from Tidewater Sew n Vac. I have the worst luck and the only real luck I have is in the sewing/quilting/emb area. This is the biggest thing I've ever won. Have to go pick it up Friday. So excited. I also do some monthly classes on my serger machine. I've learned so much on it. I have to get back into that when the weather gets better. I may join their montly emb club now that I have a smaller machine. Even though the first thing I'm doing is either trading it in or selling it to buy a Brother that does Disney Designs, I figure it'll be a good trade in. I already have a large machine that has the largest hoops out there so with 16 and growing grandkids and 6 and growing great grandkids, Disney designs would be great to have.

I did go to a weekend retreat last fall and loved it. Even though it was close by I still stayed in the hotel, which was so worth it. I had a great time and finished most projects there. I'd do it again in a heart beat. I also met a few of my favorite teachers. Anglea Wolfe and Joan Banko. They are just as wonderful in person as on TV.

I also do alot of you tubes and just got new emb software and have been doing classes on my pc for that. I love learning, no matter what it is.

Last edited by romanojg; 03-06-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 AM

I probably average about 20 classes per year. No retreats, but I go to the Expo and Quilt shows and take classes there, also.
I love my guild classes with National teachers, but am cutting down this year since i keep ending up with too many UFO'S. I can't get them made that quickly. We CAN audit classes now, so that's perfect. You always learn something from a class and i love sitting near new people and talking to them. No bad experiences for me- a few negative attitudes sometimes, but i really love classes! I encourage everyone to go. I do love my craftsy classes, too.. For people that get intimidated or can't focus in a class setting they are invaluable.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:48 AM

I have taken many classes in the past, but as I get older, I find that the constant talking distracts me. I work better at home now.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:53 AM

I hit 4 or 5 retreats a year-3 at my LQS and a couple out of town. I also take a class whenever it's something I want to learn. I'm so fortunate-our little town has 600 people on a good day-but has a quilt shop with over 7000 bolts of beautiful quilt fabric and tons of notions
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 AM

I've joined my 1st BOM class this year at a local fabric store (25 miles away). Its not that they will be teaching me something new but just to get out of the house and among other quilters. Haven't found anyone to sew with since I moved to this little town 5 years ago. True I'm teaching a couple people how to make a quilt but they both live 25 and 65 miles away so we meet seldom.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 AM

My feelings exactly. I go twice a year with DIL to retreats with Portage Quilt House on Beautiful Lake Superior. Use to only go once and then realized at 74 I would someday not be able to go. Hubby packs the car and ladies unload it for me and we have a great time of sewing and fellowship. I have made some very dear friends and look forward to seeing them. One of these lovely ladies is in her 80s and still going strong. Used to go for 2 nights but now go for 5 and wouldn't miss it. Don't look forward to the day I won't be able to go. Sharon

I use to think I won't go to that class or retreat or make that trip to a big quilt show, maybe next time. Then I realized there could very well not be a next time and one day I simply won't be able to go. I tell DH bye, see you in a few hours or a few days and off I go.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by grammasharon; 03-06-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Remove duplicate words
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM

My budget doesn't allow for any retreats or classes but I watch a lot of You Tube. I love to learn new techniques or whatever. It is amazing all of the information out there.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM

I think I'm a pretty frugal quilter, but do go to 2 retreats each year. One is in-town so i can sleep in my own bed. For the 2 days, it's $140. Meals, demos and prizes included. I think that's pretty steep. The other is 4 days, 3 nights, all meals included and is at a Bible camp/retreat center. It is $225. In addition, I attend a sewing club one Friday a month. That cost is very minimal. They take a fee-will donation to help pay for use of the room at church. I have never taken a class. I did purchase a Craftsy class back in 2015, but haven't even starting watching it. I spend a lot of my quilting time getting ready for the English Paper Piecing, and quilting classes I teach. I enjoy learning on my own, or from others at my sewing club.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Since I had to retire, not by choice, and with my DH on disability, there is little money for workshops, classes or retreats. I have, however, enjoyed the free BOM series on Craftsy, as I have learned so much from them and it's something I can do on my time and I can enjoy even when it's snowing out, which is nice.