Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn6
    Well, I think this one tops all: I did not do this, but
    a quilter who worked at my LQS did:

She wanted to make a sample quilt the night before class & worked hard to get it done in time. Unfortunately, she sewed the entire thing with washable thread !!
    OMG Yep! This one takes the prize I think!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn6
    Well, I think this one tops all: I did not do this, but
    a quilter who worked at my LQS did:

She wanted to make a sample quilt the night before class & worked hard to get it done in time. Unfortunately, she sewed the entire thing with washable thread !!
    OMG Yep! This one takes the prize I think!
    I also have to say it is a heart breaker.

I just started quilting over the flying geese in the border of my quilt and got a whole row done before I noticed that part of the design is upside down! Then I was going to do beadboard on the edge border and I stitched a spine and started feathering it. I should never go up to the long arm when I am tired. Not ripping the stitches out, change of plan thats all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    ok, that sure got a laugh out of me! :)
    Me too laughing so hard couldn't tell DH without stopping and laughing. Made my night or I should say morning now. LOL

Blog Entries
    house builders cover their mistakes with shrubbery.

artists cover their mistakes with extra flowers/people/trees/clouds..

chefs cover theirs with a fancy sauce/mushrooms/parsley/ketchup

quilters cover theirs with applique!

just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand

Blog Entries
    I put a unit in the wrong direction in a quilt and didn't notice until I was binding it. Had to take out the quilting on that block, unsew the block and put the unit the correct way in the block, then I had to applique the block back in and re-quilt. I wasn't very happy with myself. :oops:

Blog Entries
    I guess one of the worst I can think of was the king sized log cabin I made for my dad's bday/Father'sday in 1991. Mother had just passed away in fall of 1990 and I wanted to give him a little lift. I had mad several quillows, and a quilt top, but never a big quilt. I did fine on getting it sewn together and the borders and backing on. I decided to stitch in the ditch, no idea at that time about fm. I also had no idea where I needed to start my quilting-- Well guess what - I started on one side and worked to the other side, and had all but about two rows completed I'm talking about the entire quilt being done, when I realized it was really going to have a big fold in it at the edge. I asked a good quilter friend why this was happening and she laughing ask if I started in the center- "well no, why should I". I ended up ripping or unsewing the entire quilt. It took me almost a week. But I immediately learned to start from the center and go out in all directions. Now I can really laugh at myself, but then I was just furious. I have made plenty of others, we won't get into at this time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penski
    just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand
    Oh No!, I do hope you have more fabric for the backing. Would it be feasible to sew some blocks like you have on the front and scatter them around on the back to cover that up?

I made an Irish Chain once, and discovered AFTER cutting all my strips, sewing them all together, slicing them up the other way and sewing the slices into blocks- that I didn't have a quarter inch seam! All of my block A's were a different size than my block B's!

And just yesterday I left a bag full of fabric I had been using on the floor next to the chair I had been sitting in, and the next morning the cat used it as a litter box! Arghhh!!!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast