Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 177

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

  1. #1
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Here on this board we can all find safe, reliable advice/instructions for a project we're working on but somewhere along the way we pick up terrible pointers that cause us more pain and work.

    The main point that someone once gave me was that cotton stretches so if your points don't line up, just stretch it to fit. That might be true if it's just a bit too small but she demonstrated on something that had larger missed margins and the finished product was so out of shape, I wince when I look back on the project. Back then, though, I was certainly none the wiser.

    What was the worst advice you ever got about quilting?

  2. #2
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.

  3. #3
    pkary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania (at the moment)
    Posts
    172
    Not to waste my money by buying more material than I need for the intended project. A) I almost never actually make what I bought the material for in the first place and B) it turns out I love to make scrappy quilts! What would I do without all those left over pieces!

  4. #4
    Senior Member pheasantduster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    1
    This advise I guess I gave to myself - using a dark solid backing (cranberry color) for a scrappy pinwheel quilt. I have the quilt on my bed and the backing pills up and catches the "fuzzies" from the blanket beneath. BUT I like my quilt and only I see the underside - when making the bed!

  5. #5
    Member deanna.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    65
    1. Keep the quilt, chuck the blanket!
    2. Keep doing what you have been doing, nobody will ever know anyway! And, it does force you to make the bed.
    3. Put the blanket on somebody else's bed.

  6. #6
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    I agree with this one. I always go with my gut.

  7. #7
    Super Member cctx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas (that's me!)
    Posts
    4,874
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    I agree with this one. I always go with my gut.
    me too,...if it's my money and I can decide on what I like, then that's what I'll get.

  8. #8
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.

  9. #9
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    OH Yeh, been there done that.:)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    The worst advice I have ever heard given is "Do NOT wash the fabric before you use it"....wrong on so many levels....

    The best advice "ALWAYS wash your fabric before using in a project"!

    that and measure thrice, cut once!

  12. #12
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!

  14. #14
    Senior Member bunniequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Buried Under My Stash up in Canada!
    Posts
    556
    Worst advice i ever recieved was, "Oh NO you CAN'T do that!!" Bullpuckies to that, I do what I want to do and the end result is what I want.

  15. #15
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Whichever piece is the fullest is what should be on bottom. Meaning that if you have to ease a piece into another, keep the piece to be eased on the bottom, whichever one it may be. :) By the way, cutting the borders lengthwise reduces the amount of stretch. I never have wavy borders anymore since I started doing this.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Whichever piece is the fullest is what should be on bottom. Meaning that if you have to ease a piece into another, keep the piece to be eased on the bottom, whichever one it may be. :) By the way, cutting the borders lengthwise reduces the amount of stretch. I never have wavy borders anymore since I started doing this.
    Interesting...I do cut my borders lengthwise when possible, even if it means still piecing them together!

  17. #17
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,582
    Blog Entries
    19
    The worst advice I ever received was from an experienced quilter. I was even more of a beginner than I am now. I was making a wall hanging with an eight pointed star in the center. I could not get it lay down. I took it to a quilter, she said to keep trying. Duh, it was highly glazed chintz and polished cotton home dec fabric. That will never lay down - at least not for a beginner. I wonder where it's at? Somewhere in sewing room #1, I imagine.

  18. #18
    Super Member Susy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank you so much to Scissor Queen and jaciqltznok for that info!!! on borders. I had no idea and there have been 2 times now when I get wavy borders, had no idea why! Love this board!

  19. #19
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think the worse advice was to don't waste my money buying quality supplies/tools. Cheap cotton thread and dollar store scissors will work just as good. No they do not.

  20. #20
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Booking lessons with a teacher who NEVER used rotary cutter! Made us make all our own templates from cereal boxes!! Told me I was useless at choosing colours!!! Really lost confidence until a quilting friend made me get out some bright colours and I made my young grandaughter a little jacket! Really jazzy and everyone wanted to know where her Mum had bought it!!! Could have made a fortune had I taken up all requests!!!! Never had a problem since!!

  21. #21
    Junior Member Pinkrose4664's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Me too! I did something right and didn't even know it! LOL

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    The worst and most discouraging advice I had from a so called expert, was "Always use a color wheel to match your colors."

    I simply dump the colors together and the ones that fight get kicked out and the ones that look good to me stay. So what if the color wheel (which I haven't been able to find for years) doesn't agree with me? I like it, my kids like it, so there!!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    The worst and most discouraging advice I had from a so called expert, was "Always use a color wheel to match your colors."

    I simply dump the colors together and the ones that fight get kicked out and the ones that look good to me stay. So what if the color wheel (which I haven't been able to find for years) doesn't agree with me? I like it, my kids like it, so there!!!
    That's not very good advice at all!! Color theory is one thing but fabric doesn't always fit into one little color spot on the wheel. Besides sometimes clashes make a quilt really come alive!!

  24. #24
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I found this one out the hard way. But now all of the borders go on top unless I need to ease in a fullness and then I only do it with the walking foot on. My first border was so wavy and I couldn't figure out why until I saw someone else's frustration and the wise advice another quilter gave her.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Snowy Minnesota
    Posts
    1,319
    Even though I was taking a bargello class where the teacher specifically said otherwise, I allowed an employee of my LQS to talk me into choosing fabrics within a very narrow color/texture range.

    Fortunately, I consulted my teacher before investing any personal labor (the most precious resource of all), and she straightened me out. What's a few $ on more fabric compared to the incredible amount of time put into making a quilt?

    Sushi

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.