Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Don't worry about mistakes. They will all quilt out!

I did not know this! Thanks for posting.

Ooops! This tip is the one I did not know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I found this one out the hard way. But now all of the borders go on top unless I need to ease in a fullness and then I only do it with the walking foot on. My first border was so wavy and I couldn't figure out why until I saw someone else's frustration and the wise advice another quilter gave her.

I was just in a local quilt store and I asked the owner about washing and she said with the newer fabrics, quilt store quality, not to do it. I never do anyway, except for flannel, so was curious for her take on it. Of course, she and I are not the quilt police and if washing is your method, then carry on! I don't remember any worst advice. I am probably repressing it!

Blog Entries
    Someone told me I could tear the borders to get the straight of the grain. Never again-- it stretched it so bad I had to remove all the borders it distorted the edge that was not sewn down.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Worst Quilting advice?

Never pin.

*Always* make bias binding. I have never, not once, done this in 30 years!)

Piece half-square-triangles by using two triangles.

Join your border strips on the diagonal. (??? I have never understood the reason for this! Diagonal is bias/bias stretches. Period)

Jan in VA

I rarely pin - and most of the time I can get away with it. Can't really remember any bad advice, just some out dated methods.

The worst was from a LQS owner... she said ... No batiks never run! WOW was she sooo wrong.

"This is too difficult for you."

:roll:

I was advised to tear fabric to straighten. Not true ladies

Blog Entries
    I can't say that I have ever really been given bad advice, but one time I attended a sewing seminar given by my Viking dealer. Several of the sales ladies were the helpers. I was hooping my fabric all set to embroider and the lady came to me and started telling me how to hoop and that I was doing it all wrong. Well, I threw a hissy fit; that I had been sewing longer than she was old, and was not a novice at machine embroidery; and thank you I will continue to do it the way I have been. A while later she pulled me in a corner and apologized. She didn't realize "who I was" and that I had more experience than any of the sales ladies. She evidently had been overheard chastising me by someone who knew of my knowledge of machine embroidery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pkary
    Not to waste my money by buying more material than I need for the intended project. A) I almost never actually make what I bought the material for in the first place and B) it turns out I love to make scrappy quilts! What would I do without all those left over pieces!
    My worst advice was to listen to the quilt shop when they told me I had enough fabric (over $150 worth) to make a three colored block quilt and right at this minute I am almost out of one fabric and running low on the other two, which I cannot find anywhere. It was my feeliing to buy more and have room for leftovers and mistakes, but no, I listened to her. This quilt was to be a super king size with 48 - 12" blocks. 6 across/8 down. It was all planned out. I have 21 blocks done and now am running around like a chicken with my head cut off, hoping I can find the fabric or decide how to fix it with other colors in the same color scheme to go with it. Drats! Edie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yea, I did not understand this one either. What are you talking about? Can you explain in more detail??

Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    I agree with this one. I always go with my gut.
    me too,...if it's my money and I can decide on what I like, then that's what I'll get.
    Me three, I get so upset with me if I allow myself to be talked out of a fabric or design that just seems to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill
    I was advised to tear fabric to straighten. Not true ladies
    Help me out here. Tearing fabric won't straighten it? Could you explain please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Someone told me I could tear the borders to get the straight of the grain. Never again-- it stretched it so bad I had to remove all the borders it distorted the edge that was not sewn down.

Yes to me this is also the worst advise. I am a firm believer in not tearing my fabric. I have found that it distorts it very badly. I always request in the fabric store not to tear my fabric.

Intersting read, ladies and gents. I am new to quilting that haven't tested out all the advice I have got to see if it's good or bad, lol.

Thanks for the information shared here about the borders, I almost always have my border on top, unless I pieced and it is a bit full.

With my knowledge of fabric,
    Washing does two things. It removes
    The sizing from the fabric. You have to
    Use a sizing after you wash your fabric.
    Washing Reduces the shrinkage but
    Some people love that kind of look.
    So to or not to wash. Follow your heart!
    Don't let anyone pick your fabric. They
    Can give suggestions but you decide.

The worst advice I receive is when
    Someone tells me I can't do it. Games
    on and I'll try it anyway. I have seen
    People grow by experimenting.

Blog Entries
    back in the 80's I talked my friend into taking quilting classes with me. Well this lady had us make our own templates, hand cut everything and then she had us get our batting she told us to get the high loft. Man was that every hard to needle. We did it but never again. I would only use something like warm and natural for hand quilting. After I learned more about hand quilting I often wondered why she had us use that thick batting.

I took a class one and it was horrible. I have learned more from this board than I ever would have from that class.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    tearing fabric will straighten it but it also stretches and frays the edges so then you have to cut and loose approx 2 to 4 inches of fabric,so you have to buy more. lol vicious circle. this is my opinion.

The worse advice I ever received was, you don't have to measure your quilt and cut your borders to fit, just make sure the piece your sewing on is longer than what your sewing it to. Big Mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by deanna.r
    1. Keep the quilt, chuck the blanket!
    2. Keep doing what you have been doing, nobody will ever know anyway! And, it does force you to make the bed.
    3. Put the blanket on somebody else's bed.
    ditto!

Never thought of that. Wonder what I do! Now that's really going to bug (!) me next time i do a border. Up to now, no wavy ones though. :shock:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast