Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    I think you may have just solved a problem I have been having with a quilt I've been working off and on for about 5 years. The border isn't right and I get frustrated and put it away. I've tried a lot of things but didn't think of this.

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunniequilter
    Worst advice i ever recieved was, "Oh NO you CAN'T do that!!" Bullpuckies to that, I do what I want to do and the end result is what I want.
    absolutely!!!!! It belongs to you, and you are the queen of your project.

Blog Entries
    The worst advice I got recently was from an employee at a quilt shop. A quilt shop was offering a BOM for a Baltimore Album quilt which is something I have always wanted to do. I called and the person I talked to advised me that since I had not done a Baltimore album before that maybe I would be less frustrated if I did a simpler project which I did not like. She also told that I might want to do the project by machine instead of hand applique. This project, for me, wasn't about finishing each month but about the process of making a Baltimore Album with hand applique. It distressed me to think that the person I spoke to did not take the time to determine what I wanted before offering her advice. I bought the BOM in question from an online quilt shop instead. I got the blocks cheaper, they come to my mailbox, and I don't have to drive forty miles out of my way to deal with this "helpful" person who didn't know me or my abilities. Unfortunately, this quilt shop also lost all the money I would have spent there after I got there as well as the BOM fees.

Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    When I wanted to learn, no one I asked to show, wanted to help. All I heard was, "Oh, you need to take some classes!". Well now I realize, they just didn't want to be bothered. I finally took the plunge, found a quilt pattern, easy one, in a quilt mag, & made it all by myself. Haven't stopped since. Tried to classes & they must have too easy, cause I was really with both of them. Now, I keep an eye out for better, more interesting classes, but the local LQS doesn't offer those kind. So, I buy lots of books, get info on sites like this, & am still doing my own thing.
    Same here! The best quilter I know could only spare one lesson for me and that was just to make a 12" block of DNP. I had to sandwich it myself and she never got around to helping me with the binding so after 3 years (gasp!!!) I bought "Quilting For Dummies" and read it through the 12 week recovery bed rest I had after 2 back to back surgeries. I figured out the binding and then I found this board and I haven't needed to call that friend back.

Quote Originally Posted by PKITTY1
    The worst advice I got recently was from an employee at a quilt shop. A quilt shop was offering a BOM for a Baltimore Album quilt which is something I have always wanted to do. I called and the person I talked to advised me that since I had not done a Baltimore album before that maybe I would be less frustrated if I did a simpler project which I did not like. She also told that I might want to do the project by machine instead of hand applique. This project, for me, wasn't about finishing each month but about the process of making a Baltimore Album with hand applique. It distressed me to think that the person I spoke to did not take the time to determine what I wanted before offering her advice. I bought the BOM in question from an online quilt shop instead. I got the blocks cheaper, they come to my mailbox, and I don't have to drive forty miles out of my way to deal with this "helpful" person who didn't know me or my abilities. Unfortunately, this quilt shop also lost all the money I would have spent there after I got there as well as the BOM fees.
    I would call this quilt shop back, ask for a manager, and let her know all of this. Let them know that they lost your business, you went elsewhere and that's the fault of this helpful employee. I always find people to be more helpful with critical feeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie D
    The worse advice I ever received was, you don't have to measure your quilt and cut your borders to fit, just make sure the piece your sewing on is longer than what your sewing it to. Big Mistake!
    I do that! It's not right? Why not? I need to know before I do another border. :-D

I loved reading this topic!

I got good advice on here to speed up the tshirt stabilizing, but hit the edges and ended up with a dirty iron. I've gotten it clean, but not before I tried to press a fabric for something else! :-)

Guess that's at least one fabric I'll be washing before using!

The worst advise I have received as You can do this BOM - I'm stuck on my second BOM YOu measure sew/ cut that piece/ put it into a larger 12 1/2 inch square. I did not realize that every piece was cut 2 times to make it fit. Why not just cut it the right size to begin with?

The worst advice was in JoAnn's. I had brought in a pattern that I had printed from one of the websites. The clecks kept telling me that I needed to buy the colors of fabrics that were called for in the pattern.I never do that. I also usually change the placement of the blocks so I had a sheet of graph paper with me. The clerk told me that the quilt would be so ugly that no one would want it in their home. I sold it for $400.00 and that was for a full size quilt.A lot of people make and sell quilts in this part of Virginia so we can't sell them for as much as some of you in other states.

Blog Entries
    Someone once said something about not only do we learn from our own mistakes, but we can learn from others'. Can't say I have had anything like some of these. But then being a Crazy Quilter gives me more freedom. When a clerk ask me what am I making, as they are taught to do at JoAnn's (I know, I worked there last year for a few months), I can just say I am crazy quilting...and watch the blank stares, because 99% of them have never heard of cq, and couldn't give any advice if they wanted to!!!!
    Crazy Quilting means there are no mistakes...just room for more embelishments!!!

I did a quilting class and the main fabric design for me were fish (beautiful and great for kids). The suggested supporting 9-patch colors did not work for me. When I got home I changed the colors and it looked much better. I have found that we do not all see colors in the same way.

Blog Entries
    I do not often read all the posts in a post but I did this one and I had to laugh. I have been told so many of these same things. Many times someone tries to talk me out of my bright colors then wants the quilt when it all gets put togehter. They do not have the same vision that I do. I do think outside the box and not bragging but I have always been able to picture how something would look. As for color wheels, I looked at one and thought it was the most useless thing ever invented for me. If I like it it goes.

Do not ever let someone else pick colors for you or tell you you cannot do something.

Good for you. Maybe what they were really saying was They couldn't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunniequilter
    Worst advice i ever recieved was, "Oh NO you CAN'T do that!!" Bullpuckies to that, I do what I want to do and the end result is what I want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzyquilter
    The worst advise I ever got was when I was making my first quilt. The shop owner talked me into a dark printed backing. What did I know! It was a log cabin quilt and with the dark fabric on the back you couldln't see all the had quilting. I was very disapointed. I think quilting is a personal thing and everyone should make their own decisions..we all see things differently.
    I totally agree.

On my first quilt--for a niece who had chosen inexpensive fabric--I cut all of the strips for an Irish Chain-- lengthwise. Just beginner luck as I had not trouble with wavy blocks or the finished project. And this was before I knew to "size, size, size." (Don't tell her, but she would sew strips and then I would take them out because of uneveness and redo them when she went to work.) Later she admitted that her "experience" had been to sew a pj bottom in 7th grade. She has improved and I just bought her a new machine for her very own!

Thanks to this board for all or you GOOd advice! :D

Hmmmm mayber this is why Ihave had an occasional problem with the border. Going to make sure I have the border fabric on top of the quilt whwen sewing on. Love what we can learn with this group! Hugs to all you helpers.

One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.

"There are rules to quilting" Worst thing ever said to me! I believed it for a minute, then remembered what my DGGM told me when she taught me how to quilt........ the only rule to quilting is, never sew/ quilt when you are tired. Quilting is an art, everyone has their own version of it, their own taste, their own message they are sending out. There are no set rules, be creative, be yourself!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Wow, this is one great discussion. I am new to quilting.... my friend suckered me into it, but hasn't had a moment to teach me anything. So, I just bought some fabric and had a go at it. I started small, with a pillow top, a couple of mats for the kitty to sleep on, and two rag quilts. I have purchased fabric for my first pieced quilt which I designed, but now I'm worried!

First, I'm afraid I won't have enough fabric. The gals a the LQS pulled out their calculator and worked it out for me.

Secondly, I purchased 108" fabric for the backing, and they tore it! Now what do I do??

Third question... I have been washing my fabric first, but what do I do about jelly rolls? Will there be anything left to sew with??

You are all THE BEST!! At least now when I put borders on, they won't be wavy. ;o)

I didn't know that Jo Anns taught their clerks to ask what we are making when cutting our fabric. I always thought it was a question that they never had an interest in. Sometimes I don't care to say what I am making and that it is just for my stash or what ever. Next time I will know it is just training small talk.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    The worst advice I have ever heard given is "Do NOT wash the fabric before you use it"....wrong on so many levels....

The best advice "ALWAYS wash your fabric before using in a project"!

that and measure thrice, cut once!
    OHHHHHHH MY GOD!!!! Seriously.. my LQS gave me this advice and now I am almost 1/2 way through my very first quilt and now its going to look like crap! Thanks! Guess I know for the future!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    The worst advice I have ever heard given is "Do NOT wash the fabric before you use it"....wrong on so many levels....

OHHHHHHH MY GOD!!!! Seriously.. my LQS gave me this advice and now I am almost 1/2 way through my very first quilt and now its going to look like crap! Thanks! Guess I know for the future!
    It's perfectly fine to not wash your fabric first. It will not look like crap.

Blog Entries
    yepper use instinct....go with it....when u change youre trying to change yourself.............hmmmmmmmm maybe make that a quote..lol

Yup! I had that happen to me. Another thing that was said to me is "you don't need that much fabric". I had to go back for more and someone else has already bought fabric off the bolt so I just barely made it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.

I often put the border fabric on the bottom when I am sewing and never have wavy borders, I think it's all in the measuring and how off the quilt is befre you frame it. If I sew on the quilt side I can be extra careful about points that get chopped off.

I used to wash everything and so now I have about half washed and half not. It all goes together wonderfully, no problems either way. I also do not use starch and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29

It's perfectly fine to not wash your fabric first. It will not look like crap.
    It's fine not to wash your fabric first as long as you're using all the same kind of fabric e.g. all 100% cotton, no problem. If you're mixing fabrics (cotton top, flannel back) you'd want to wash the flannel. Or if crazy quilting using different fabrics then I would wash them first if possible. (Quite a change of view for me since I came into this board thinking always wash... because I did dressmaking, where the size of the finished object is critical and the fabrics are usually mixed fibres that shrink at different rates).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast