Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    ........ the only rule to quilting is, never sew/ quilt when you are tired.
    This made me laugh. Every one of my quilts has been slept under before it's finished . . . by ME! And I wake up with thimble and needle still in hand, sometimes mid-stitch. Ahhh, handquilting can sometimes be a bit too relaxing.

:lol: Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this . . . .
    ive done that when stitching down the binding... lol....

I can't call it advise, but a comment. I really have trouble doing traditional quilting because of problems with my vision. I was buying material for my very first quilting project; it was a table runner I wanted to make by foundation piecing. The LQS owner said,"There is no way that is quilting." "That's for people who are too lazy to do it the right way." I guess I will be lazy for the rest of my life. LOL

Blog Entries
    The worst advice I almost followed was when I putting on a binding onto a project. I had picked out a fabric but showed the project and my binding choice to my quilty friend. She didn't like the project - too much color and movement - and didn't like my binding fabric choice - too much color again. She picked something truly ugly and I almost used it. DH saved me. I was about to cut it and he asked me what it was for. I explained and he said the choice was ugly, did I have something better? Went back to original fabric which he liked and that's what I out on. MY lesson was to go with my gut and not ask her for help b/c we have different tastes in colors and fabrics.

Didn't actually cause me pain or problems but I took a class with a well known quilter. He taught a 2 day workshop on his water color fabric painting technique and sold us his patterns. Most of the students wanted to put their own twist on this (including me). He flat out told me that my idea was not to scale (ever hear of folk art?) and was no good! Well...I NEVER! I put that project away for a looong time cause I was so angry at someone I had idolized. Well...a Pat Sloan, finish it up challenge made me bring that out and finish it. I ended up loving it and earning some ribbons for it (in spite of the rough start). Anyway, I learned #1: do not idolize others (my work is just as good/important) #2: Always listen and learn but trust my own judgment and do what my instinct tells me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Someone told me I could tear the borders to get the straight of the grain. Never again-- it stretched it so bad I had to remove all the borders it distorted the edge that was not sewn down.
    When I first began trying to sew, I was told (fabric counter at Sprouse/Rietz) that the only way to get straight fabric was to tear strips. (Ever try to make a dress with strips of fabric?) I tore it all into strips to be sure everything would be straight! :oops:

"Sew with a relaxed bottom", or less elegantly, "sew with a loose butt" to let feed dogs feed in and ease the bottom layer AND to keep yourself relaxed as well.

My mom is always telling me that I'm not experienced enough to do what I want to do. I seldom go by all the instructions, and do something off the wall, and she is always standing behind me telling me some reason it wont work. Well, so far they all have worked, and I get what I want. I have learned to just do it and watch her gasp at the wounderful job I did. Then I go into great detail and tell her how I did it. Totally amazes her.

Oh ya! They never quilt out!! I got that (bad) advice too...

My first quilt instructor told me I couldn't use prairie points for my border. Fortunately I did not heed her advice and proceeded to use the prairie points and was quite satisfied with my first quilt. Needless to say, I did not return to her class for future lessons.

I have taken two classes is all. The first one was for a month of Wednesdays. the teacher was choosy about who she "graced" with her time, and seemed resentful if I asked too many questions. Bad experience!

OMH! out of this entire thread, I think the winner is! Insulbrit for potato bags! :O :O :O WOW! that is frightening!

I dont take direction very well, I have never attended a class, and dont use patterns much at all, I always buy a TON of fabric, because I change my mind.
    I have a friend that I dont let go to lqs without me! because when Im not there some clerk is always telling her that she isnt skilled enough or "you cant do that" she ends up TRAMATIZED and refuses to quilt anything!

so... for the most part! advice is OPTIONAL, except when it comes to potato bags LOL

A friend and fellow quilter is always telling me I am way too OCD about choosing my fabrics. If I can't find what I have in mind, I wait to start the project until I can visit however many shops it takes to find exactly (or close to it) what I want. I'm glad I stick to my guns, because - knock on wood - I usually end up loving my colors.

i actually had a instuctor in a quilting class tell me NOT to pin fabric together....she said if you "cut it right, and sew it right, it will not need to be pinned" wow, my seams on that quilt were really off.........gina

Needle turn technique for hand applque!
    It is slower and can get wonkie easier than other techniques.

I never heard that you should sew with the borders on top. I have always done the opposite so that I can see the seams in the quilt top and make sure they are going the right way. Guess I will have to change my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    I never heard that you should sew with the borders on top. I have always done the opposite so that I can see the seams in the quilt top and make sure they are going the right way. Guess I will have to change my ways.
    Me too. And I like to see where points intersect on the top so I'm sewing exactly across the intersections. But I have had a few slightly wavy borders. Will try border on top for my next straight block quilt. learn something new to try everytime I visit here.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    This happened to a friend of mine--she wanted a blue and white quilt made out of sampler blocks and the teacher told her it would be too boring, helped her pick other fabrics and then wondered why she wasn't so enthusiastic anymore. A couple of years later, blue and white quilts were all the rage and my friend finally made hers and it was gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
    I have taken two classes is all. The first one was for a month of Wednesdays. the teacher was choosy about who she "graced" with her time, and seemed resentful if I asked too many questions. Bad experience!
    I understand completely. My very first (and one of the few) classes I took was for making a quillow. The instructor was so busy chumming it up with her friends in the class, she ignored several of us that she didn't know. I came home and tore apart what she told us todo and used good old common sense to put it back together and it came out great (imho).

The worst instruction I received came in a pattern which ignored strip piecing and told me to cut the fabric into 1" squares. YUCK! I feel like I've wasted that whole piece of fabric, which I liked a lot. It was red and green and gold Christmas trees and ribbons on a black background.
    Sally

My worst was a pattern for a table runner that said to cut the batting and backing the same size as the pieced front and then quilt. I knew better... had to get a new backing fabric and new batting and redo it.

Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014
    Blog Entries
    I was just starting out. I was so excited to take my very first hand piecing class. The teacher insisted on meeting us at the store to "help" us pick out our fabrics. We needed 4 fabrics, and she had "talked" everyone else into blues, mauves, greens and then along came ME!! I met her at the store with my fabrics that I had already purchased--RED, BLACK, WHITE and a BLK/WH print. She tried to talk me out of it, but I was insistant, as I was making this for my DD and that was what she wanted. We all made our sampler blocks and I was the first one to finish quilting mine (the complete twin quilt took me ONE month, start to finish, and all done by hand!!) and when I showed it to the teacher, she asked me if I would be willing to bring it to "show and tell" for her next class!!! I found out later that I was the ONLY one in the class that ever finished their quilt. Hopefully she let her later students pick out their own fabrics that will get THEM excited with the whole process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    I definetly agree. I see something and will go for it and will not be persuaded to go someone elses way. I have to work on it, live with it, etc... Of course, there have been times when I have been unsure and usually then will just walk away and wait for another day. I will consider someone elses suggestions when I am not sure. I sound really cold and callous but I'm not REALLY!!
    Rita

Blog Entries
    Also, my last pattern in the book said to cut squares 3-7/8" and then face them, mark from corner to corner and sew on either side of the mark and that will make my 3-1/2" square. Well, it didn't. Of course it didn't if I had thought which I did this AM that it has to be 3-3/4" squares. I had to recut all 800+ pieces after sewing them together. Good thing I like the colors.
    Rita

Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    Also, my last pattern in the book said to cut squares 3-7/8" and then face them, mark from corner to corner and sew on either side of the mark and that will make my 3-1/2" square. Well, it didn't. Of course it didn't if I had thought which I did this AM that it has to be 3-3/4" squares. I had to recut all 800+ pieces after sewing them together. Good thing I like the colors.
    Rita
    3 7/8ths is the correct measurement for 3 1/2 inch half square triangles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    Rita
    3 7/8ths is the correct measurement for 3 1/2 inch half square triangles.
    Then why did I have to recut every one?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast