Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    ok I'll bite what does bag the bottom mean?

Blog Entries
    Always make bias binding. Did once, but switched to on the grain.

However, on the tearing issue. I always tear my borders, but I always tear parallel to the selvedge. There's no distortion that way. Also, I straighten solid color fabric by tearing. After you tear it, you need to pull the fabric into square across the bias, corner to corner.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    Yup. Unless you're using a walking foot or even feed foot the feed dogs will slightly ease in the bottom fabric. "Bag the bottom" and "bias on the bottom" are old sewing sayings for a reason.
    I always put my borders on the top, but never knew I was supposed to! THanks for sharing that!
    Whichever piece is the fullest is what should be on bottom. Meaning that if you have to ease a piece into another, keep the piece to be eased on the bottom, whichever one it may be. :) By the way, cutting the borders lengthwise reduces the amount of stretch. I never have wavy borders anymore since I started doing this.
    Interesting...I do cut my borders lengthwise when possible, even if it means still piecing them together!
    I do the lengthwise thing too--for borders and binding. I try to figure the fabric requirements out so I can cut the necessary pieces for the rest of the quilt after cutting the borders and binding. So far I've been lucky and it's all worked out pretty close to even! But I don[t mind leftovers as I intend to do some scrappy stash quilts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    "This is too difficult for you."

:roll:
    well that would just set me off ! and i'd have to prove them wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    The worst advice I ever received was from an experienced quilter. I was even more of a beginner than I am now. I was making a wall hanging with an eight pointed star in the center. I could not get it lay down. I took it to a quilter, she said to keep trying. Duh, it was highly glazed chintz and polished cotton home dec fabric. That will never lay down - at least not for a beginner. I wonder where it's at? Somewhere in sewing room #1, I imagine.
    Wonder if you can use a 45 degree ruler to salvage your 8point star and finish it.

Blog Entries
    Went to a quilt store and the lady tore my fabric. I was in SHOCK !!! so I advised her cut another piece. She looked @ me & said OH but its so much easier to rip this fabric? That is what my Manager said . I polite advised her the manager is not buying this piece. So she cut my piece. My Maw Maw always said don't tear & she quilted by hand for over 75yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    Quote Originally Posted by pkary
    Not to waste my money by buying more material than I need for the intended project. A) I almost never actually make what I bought the material for in the first place and B) it turns out I love to make scrappy quilts! What would I do without all those left over pieces!
    My worst advice was to listen to the quilt shop when they told me I had enough fabric (over $150 worth) to make a three colored block quilt and right at this minute I am almost out of one fabric and running low on the other two, which I cannot find anywhere. It was my feeliing to buy more and have room for leftovers and mistakes, but no, I listened to her. This quilt was to be a super king size with 48 - 12" blocks. 6 across/8 down. It was all planned out. I have 21 blocks done and now am running around like a chicken with my head cut off, hoping I can find the fabric or decide how to fix it with other colors in the same color scheme to go with it. Drats! Edie
    Can you post photos of your fabric here? Maybe someone can help you out? All the best with your search.

I guess mine was being told to buy the border fabric when the quilt was done so I could measure and would know how much to get. But that quilt got put away awhile ('Life' happened) and by the time I needed the border material it was no longer available!!! I'm still looking, oh these many years later....

The phrase I learned when 13 years old and in home economics was bpob---biggest piece on bottom! It's always worked for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lvaughan
    Quote Originally Posted by sherrill
    I was advised to tear fabric to straighten. Not true ladies
    Help me out here. Tearing fabric won't straighten it? Could you explain please?
    No, it only tears it on grain. You still have to pull on the biases to make everything true to grain. Tearing also wastes a couple of inches of fabric because it tends to stretch it there; even pressing doesn't really bring it back to size. Tearing works for Home Dec if you are making drapes where you really HAVE to have it straight of grain, but for quilting I find it an inferior treatment to finding straight of grain. In most cases in quilting prefect straight of grain isn't crucial, especially if you are cutting small pieces.

The worst advice or rather directions........were for paper piecing. Just put the fabric on the paper and sew........i was so lost and frustrated and the person who was "teaching" me was no help. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

ALWAYS follow the "rules".
    If you want something really special, think out-side-of-box.

I have been thru all of these. So, we live and learn. help each other every day.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think the worse advice was to don't waste my money buying quality supplies/tools. Cheap cotton thread and dollar store scissors will work just as good. No they do not.
    Thats for sure!!

I think I must be my worst enemy. I really do try to do what is best, but waaaayy too often, try to take short cuts. Short cuts never turn out for me. Think, think, think. I really goofed when I tore my last binding and borders. Never again.

As a former quilt store owner my advice is to buy what makes you feel good about your project. Quilt store owners are not always "experts" and most of them recomend what they like which is not always what you like.
    Many people ask for recommendations or advice on a project. Many people are very unsure about picking colors, especially new quilters. I always tried to give customers two or three options and then let them decide.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I took a beginning quilting class and the instructor did not square the fabric before she cut it. She said it didn't matter if it was square or not because when you cut that first edge it's straight from the cut so you just had to make sure everything else was cut based on the first cut. But then, she also didn't have us press any of the seams. Just said she didn't feel a necessity to have to stop and press all the time. So now I have a lap quilt where the seams are all wonky and I have never bothered to sandwich it and quilt it. I think I'm going to try though because I really do love the fabric and the pattern. Geesh! How do some people qualify to teach quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by pkary
    Not to waste my money by buying more material than I need for the intended project. A) I almost never actually make what I bought the material for in the first place and B) it turns out I love to make scrappy quilts! What would I do without all those left over pieces!
    I always buy more material than I need, and I always end up using the extra! Love your avatar, BTW!

Blog Entries
    I took a beginning machine quilting class and the instructor yelled at me for not going fast enough. She said I would break needles going so slow and my stitches would be messed up. I became afraid to machine quilt and was convinced i couldn't do it. Then, I met a quilter (not a teacher) who had won many awards at quilt shows because her machine quilting was so beautiful. I said, You must sew very fast.....She replied, Oh no, I sew very very slow. And, come to find out, she had the same machine as mine and she has never broken a needle. It took me a long time to convince myself that I could do it and to get the 'You must sew fast' idea out of my head, but I machine quilt much better now and without fear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Yea, I did not understand this one either. What are you talking about? Can you explain in more detail??
    Wavy borders are due to poor measuring; not sewing IMO.

The worst advise I ever got was when I was making my first quilt. The shop owner talked me into a dark printed backing. What did I know! It was a log cabin quilt and with the dark fabric on the back you couldln't see all the had quilting. I was very disapointed. I think quilting is a personal thing and everyone should make their own decisions..we all see things differently.

Blog Entries
    It's got to be perfect. No, it doesn't, it only has to make me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    ok I'll bite what does bag the bottom mean?
    It means if you have one piece longer than the other "baggy" to put it on the bottom so the feed dogs will ease it in.

When I wanted to learn, no one I asked to show, wanted to help. All I heard was, "Oh, you need to take some classes!". Well now I realize, they just didn't want to be bothered. I finally took the plunge, found a quilt pattern, easy one, in a quilt mag, & made it all by myself. Haven't stopped since. Tried to classes & they must have too easy, cause I was really with both of them. Now, I keep an eye out for better, more interesting classes, but the local LQS doesn't offer those kind. So, I buy lots of books, get info on sites like this, & am still doing my own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123retired
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Yea, I did not understand this one either. What are you talking about? Can you explain in more detail??
    Wavy borders are due to poor measuring; not sewing IMO.

I never measure. Never. I do pin the borders on from the center out and I always sew with the border on top. My quilts start out squarer to start with since I don't sew my blocks into big long rows. I have measured in the past and found less than an eighth of an inch variation from the center to the sides.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast