Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved? >

What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Only bad advice was that it was necessary to prewash any fabrics.
I almost always prewash as a personal preference, not that it is necessary.
I piece my borders on the diagonal and cut lengthwise, and measure the quilt top first before cutting border to length. I pin from the center then the outside corner then inbetween. Never have wavy borders.

I teach quilting 2 to 3 times a week, I tell my students there are no quilt police. Explain why I it things "my" way, but there are other ways and find what works for you.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 PM

I always piece my borders on the diagonal. I lay straight edges and overlap, stitch diagonally then trim the corners away. NO bias edge to sew.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Worst Quilting advice?

Never pin.

*Always* make bias binding. I have never, not once, done this in 30 years!)

Piece half-square-triangles by using two triangles.

Join your border strips on the diagonal. (??? I have never understood the reason for this! Diagonal is bias/bias stretches. Period)

Jan in VA
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM

I don't think I've ever had any bad advice, mostly because I don't ask for help. I have a friend I run things by, but I trust my own judgment on colors and patterns and such. As for technique, I just read on the board for awhile and somebody will address what I want to know!!!!! And if people contradict each other, as they will, I try out what I think will work.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but then it's my choice and I have no one to blame but me. I consider everything a learning process, so I don't even blame me.

I do agree that one should perhaps not sew, at least by machine, when tired. That's almost always when I make a mistake.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM

It was my first quilt. There was one color I had to pick, I asked advice, took it. Mistake. My first quilt is sewn well, but that color sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM

The worst advice I ever received was to put a fat batt in my quilt and then proceed to hand quilt it!! It looked great when it was done, but OMG I broke and bent so many needles. It took me 7 years to finally finish it, I hated working on it. Dh's Aunt and Uncle are the proud owners of it, a queen size, Card Trick.
I named it : "The Pointless Card Game", it was my 3rd quilt and had many triangle points missing. :oops:
:roll: :cry: :thumbdown:
Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Originally Posted by mygirl66
........ the only rule to quilting is, never sew/ quilt when you are tired.
This made me laugh. Every one of my quilts has been slept under before it's finished . . . by ME! And I wake up with thimble and needle still in hand, sometimes mid-stitch. Ahhh, handquilting can sometimes be a bit too relaxing.

:lol: Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this . . . .
ive done that when stitching down the binding... lol....
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM

I can't call it advise, but a comment. I really have trouble doing traditional quilting because of problems with my vision. I was buying material for my very first quilting project; it was a table runner I wanted to make by foundation piecing. The LQS owner said,"There is no way that is quilting." "That's for people who are too lazy to do it the right way." I guess I will be lazy for the rest of my life. LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM

The worst advice I almost followed was when I putting on a binding onto a project. I had picked out a fabric but showed the project and my binding choice to my quilty friend. She didn't like the project - too much color and movement - and didn't like my binding fabric choice - too much color again. She picked something truly ugly and I almost used it. DH saved me. I was about to cut it and he asked me what it was for. I explained and he said the choice was ugly, did I have something better? Went back to original fabric which he liked and that's what I out on. MY lesson was to go with my gut and not ask her for help b/c we have different tastes in colors and fabrics.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Didn't actually cause me pain or problems but I took a class with a well known quilter. He taught a 2 day workshop on his water color fabric painting technique and sold us his patterns. Most of the students wanted to put their own twist on this (including me). He flat out told me that my idea was not to scale (ever hear of folk art?) and was no good! Well...I NEVER! I put that project away for a looong time cause I was so angry at someone I had idolized. Well...a Pat Sloan, finish it up challenge made me bring that out and finish it. I ended up loving it and earning some ribbons for it (in spite of the rough start). Anyway, I learned #1: do not idolize others (my work is just as good/important) #2: Always listen and learn but trust my own judgment and do what my instinct tells me!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Someone told me I could tear the borders to get the straight of the grain. Never again-- it stretched it so bad I had to remove all the borders it distorted the edge that was not sewn down.
When I first began trying to sew, I was told (fabric counter at Sprouse/Rietz) that the only way to get straight fabric was to tear strips. (Ever try to make a dress with strips of fabric?) I tore it all into strips to be sure everything would be straight! :oops: