Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 171

Thread: The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

  1. #11
    Senior Member livenlearn124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Posts
    422
    Blog Entries
    1
    kwhite=you are a nut! =)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!

  2. #12
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,994
    I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!

  3. #13
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    ok, that sure got a laugh out of me! :)

  4. #14
    Super Member charmpacksplus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,649
    Worst mistake I've made.... so far....

    I was making log cabin blocks (needed 49 blocks) and set the project aside for a couple of weeks after making about half of them. When I started back up I used some 1.5 inch strips instead of the 2 inch I started with. Noticed this mistake after all the blocks were finished. Not good! I guess I could use them to make two separate smaller quilts.

  5. #15
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    I didn't figure out it takes more blocks to set on point than in rows. I was finished with the blocks and had no more fabric when I found out. My daughter's quilt is special because it has a big star in the center. She doesn't need to know it's because her mother wasn't too bright that day.

    Buying fabric from ebay unless the manufacturer is mentioned. No more of that.

  6. #16
    Senior Member kat112000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sioux Lookout, ON
    Posts
    937
    Umm, at this point I can say LEARNING TO QUILT!! has been my mistake! LOL!! I have done everything stated above me, except, no way will I sew naked!!

  7. #17
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,027
    I've done some of these things - sewing without bobbin thread - and of course I was chain-piecing. Quilting folds of the backing fabric into the quilt - yep, that too.

    No quilting in the nude though - I don't need any of my junk to fall onto my sewing area! :shock: :mrgreen:

    The worst things I've done both resulted from forgetting to check the back of the quilt - both times, I had briefly worked on another project and changed the bobbin tension and it was way too tight when I put the bobbin back in for my quilts. Both times, I ended up with horrible quilting on the back.

    It felt like I spent a week with the darn seam ripper on one of those. The last time I did it, it wasn't so bad, but unsewing is never a feel-good activity. There's just no satisfaction in it at all.

  8. #18
    Senior Member kem77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MINNESOTA, NATIVE N.J
    Posts
    856
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I've done some of these things - sewing without bobbin thread - and of course I was chain-piecing. Quilting folds of the backing fabric into the quilt - yep, that too.

    No quilting in the nude though - I don't need any of my junk to fall onto my sewing area! :shock: :mrgreen:

    The worst things I've done both resulted from forgetting to check the back of the quilt - both times, I had briefly worked on another project and changed the bobbin tension and it was way too tight when I put the bobbin back in for my quilts. Both times, I ended up with horrible quilting on the back.

    It felt like I spent a week with the darn seam ripper on one of those. The last time I did it, it wasn't so bad, but unsewing is never a feel-good activity. There's just no satisfaction in it at all.
    Thank you that is really good advise. I would not like to have to unsew.I have a hard enough time getting things done the first time.

  9. #19
    Senior Member kem77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MINNESOTA, NATIVE N.J
    Posts
    856
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kat112000
    Umm, at this point I can say LEARNING TO QUILT!! has been my mistake! LOL!! I have done everything stated above me, except, no way will I sew naked!!
    very good.sometimes you never know what trouble you are going to get your heart into.

  10. #20
    Senior Member kem77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MINNESOTA, NATIVE N.J
    Posts
    856
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!
    Ouch. But good come back with the label.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.