Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would vintage wool Army blankets work for batting? >

Would vintage wool Army blankets work for batting?

Would vintage wool Army blankets work for batting?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 AM

I have an opportunity to buy new vintage wool Army blankets for $10 each. #1- is that a good price? #2- would they make good batting? I've only ever used Warm & Natural and have no info. about using wool. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 AM

I have a quilt that my grandmother made for my dad when he was a boy. She used blankets for the batting. It is a tied, not quilted quilt and is one heavy warm thing. I'm sure one layer of a blanket would be able to be quilted though. Sure would be warm.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 AM

The first quilt I ever made used an old Army blanket. I didn't know much about batting then!! It is way too heavy for Florida but 35+ years later the quilt still exists.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

they work ok- they are scratchy- i would wash them first- and dry them- and if used for batting i would only tie the quilt- or do big-stitch quilting. they will make very warm quilts-
i like to use them with denim/corduroy fabrics- even more heavy- but the extra weight/density of the fabrics seems to make the scratchy wool not appearant. with light cottons sometimes you still feel the wool.
the blankets can also be used for pillows and appliques.
i would snatch up as many as i could afford at that price...i thought $25 apiece was a deal.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 AM

I have my grandfather's WWI wool army blanket; mended, darned, patched relic that it is. I suppose it could be used as quilt batting, but it means too much to me just as it is that I will never hide it away inside a quilt. It proudly lives in my truck "in case of emergency".

I got a good giggle when you said you could get a deal on "new vintage" wool Army blankets. Bit of an oxymoron don't you think?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 AM

I have used many of them, but be sure the quilt never gets dried in a hot dryer.....unless yo pre-shrink the blanket.
I do not like them with cotton though----it pokes through...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM

$10 per blanket is a good price if they are in good shape. I say go for it.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I have my grandfather's WWI wool army blanket; mended, darned, patched relic that it is. I suppose it could be used as quilt batting, but it means too much to me just as it is that I will never hide it away inside a quilt. It proudly lives in my truck "in case of emergency".

I got a good giggle when you said you could get a deal on "new vintage" wool Army blankets. Bit of an oxymoron don't you think?
I agree- but that's how they are described in their ad. :-)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I have my grandfather's WWI wool army blanket; mended, darned, patched relic that it is. I suppose it could be used as quilt batting, but it means too much to me just as it is that I will never hide it away inside a quilt.
same with my father's Navy blanket. I really treasure that. but if buying someone else's blanket, that's a different story. they are, indeed, very warm.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM

Actually it does sound like an oxymoron. But they could have been made years ago but just found in an attic or storage area. I have seen things with the tags still on found in storage rooms or upstairs areas of old stores. Made in the 40's and 50's . So new(never used) vintage( made back when) :-)