Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would this work? >

Would this work?

Would this work?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 AM

Default Would this work?

Hi everyone :-)

I am currently working on my GFG. I am using big stitch quilting on it. I have used a technique for finishing the edges of the quilt by making a ring of hexagons in exactly the same shape, then stitching them onto the edges right sides together, after that you flip the ring of hexies over to the other side and then attach them to the backing.

I am completely unable to do a ladder stitch. I have tried several times and I just can't make my hands just used to it. I've watched hundreds of tutorials and it's just not getting through to me! I had 130 hexies to attach to the backing and didn't want to spend weeks cursing at it by attempting a ladder stitch! So I ended up just whip stitching it down. It doesn't look very good!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489374[/ATTACH]

My question is this: Would a decorative blanket stitch over the edge of the hexagons work to cover this up a little bit? Or would it just highlight the terrible whip stitching? I would use the perle thread that I'm using for the main quilting. I've still got about a quarter of the hexies to sew down so won't be starting the blanket stitch for a little while, but thought it would be a good idea to ask before I try!

Any other ideas to cover this up a little bit would be gratefully received!
Attached Thumbnails imag1180.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 AM

I've never made such a quilt, so I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting now would be considered a sacrilege and get me persued by the quilt police and thrown into quilty jail without probation for the next five years...

But: How about zig-zagging around the edge? *duck* You could use a nice colour, use it as an additional design element so no one realises that it wasn't planned that way from the start.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

I do what I would call a whipping stitch but you keep the thread buried. You also need to get a thread that matches the fabric so the thread won't be as prominent as in your photo. If there is a LQS near you, I would suggest you might go in for some assistance with your hand stitching. Not everything to do with quilting can be learn from video (in my opinion). Good Luck !!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 AM

Haha, in hindsight I definitely should have used a black thread, not sure what I was thinking when I started doing it, apart from the fact the purple was sat next to me at the time!
I have a fabric shop in my village but they're not the friendliest bunch in there so I'm not sure how helpful they'd be! I'll make sure to ask next time I'm in there!
Haha, Cathy, no need to duck! I've made the whole quilt by hand so am trying to avoid doing any machine quilting if possible. Also, I don't want any stitches to come through to the front, as for some reason the back hexies end a bit below the front hexies, so it would look a bit odd I think!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Power Poster

Blanket stitching over what you have done is not going to hide it, if you remove the (whip stitching) then blanket stitch it would be better. Finding a thread that matches the fabric would be better but if you want it to show/be decorative then a contrasting color works. When you want your stitches to not show its important to match those colors, your whip stitches would not be so (visual) if the thread matched. (And, the person who suggested zigzagging with a machine--that would show on the front-- )
Question.... Do you whip stitch your bindings? Visit a quilt shop, local guild or sewing group with a small practice piece (like a placemat- sandwiched, quilted and binding attached to one side) someone will be happy to take a few minutes to show you how to stitch an invisible stitch. :-)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 AM

I usually just machine sew my bindings. I recently made a 25" square quilt for a competition and decided to hand sew the binding down to the back. I did manage an invisible stitch but it drove me completely mad, and took me forever! My stitches were huge and didn't look very secure. As this quilt is massive, and will be used a lot once finished, I decided not to try and rely on my terrible ladder stitch, as I didn't think it would hold up well!
I definitely don't want to take the whip stitching out. If there's nothing that will sort of hide/distract from the whip stitching then I'll just leave it as it is and count it as a lesson learned :-) I don't completely hate it as it is now, would just prefer it to look a little neater. If this quilt were for someone else, I would take it out and start over with black thread, but it's for me and I will love it anyway :-)
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 AM

I have friends who use permanent markers and color the offending threads. Would this work for you?

Another thought. Could you make it into a stained glass quilt by adding a bias strip around each of the flowers to make them stand out and hide your original stitches?

Often, when I have a project almost finished, I really don't like it, but when I see everything finished, it looks much better. Maybe you will feel the same way.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Hmmm...I had a go with the blanket stitch, and I think it kind of hides it a bit. What do you guys think?[ATTACH=CONFIG]489414[/ATTACH]

Please ignore how wonky the blanket stitch is! This was just a little trial to see what it would look like and I have already removed it because I have more quilting to do before the blanket stitch. If I do go ahead with it I will mark it so that all the stitches are equal.
Attached Thumbnails imag1183.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 AM

I would take out the whip stitching and do a regular applique stitch. I use an applique stitch for all my hand-stitched borders.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 AM

I think the blanket stitching does the job...good for you to be completing such a challenging project...can we see a photo of it,please?