Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you use this fabric? >

Would you use this fabric?

Would you use this fabric?

Old 11-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Thanks to all you wonderful quilters on this Board for your advice on this topic. I'll be sure to post what happens after the Retayne treatment and then washing it once again with color catchers. Maybe if it still is "iffy" or faded, I'll consider cutting it up into pieces and using it for stuffing in a dark color fleece "blankie" for my two little Lhasa Apso companions, Chrissy and Darby!
Old 11-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
I bought a lovely piece of crimson solid fabric to use as the constant in piecing Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Crazy quilt pattern. It would go in all the centers of the blocks and piecing in the borders of the quilt. So I threw it in the washing machine by itself with two Carbona color catchers. Wow! When the wash was through, the color catchers were a deep magenta! That really scared me, so I decided to wash it again and used 2 more new color catchers, the result was still a deep pink. By now, I am in the "experimental mode" and really am thinking this 2-yd. piece is going to be trashed, so I tossed it back in the washer with 2 new color catchers and I threw in a small white towel. Amazingly enough, the towel itself came out white, but the color catchers this time were a light pink. What would you do? This will be my first paper piecing project and if I succeed, ha ha, I don't want it ruined by a piece of questionable fabric. Thanks!
Don't use it. It is not worth it. Get a better quality fabric.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Just curious, was it a name-brand fabric bought from a quilt store?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
Just curious, was it a name-brand fabric bought from a quilt store?
No on both queries; unfortunately, if I purchased all my fabric from quilt stores, I couldn't afford the hobby. I buy fabric that appeals to me when I find it, and hope that I have made wise choices; but I always wash all fabric before using to test it's color fastness, etc. This is only the second questionable one I've come across; the first one was a piece in a box of fabrics given to me by a friend before I joined this Board in 2010, and that was a disaster, bled all over some other fabric I had washed it with so I threw those pieces away; luckily that batch was only a small part of the box of fabric given to me; that was back in the day when I didn't know about color catchers, ha!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:27 PM

try retayne. But the color catchers are like a magnet to dye, you would have to use them all the time until the dye catchers come out clean, that's why the towel stayed color free.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 AM

I feel for you. I finished a double wedding ring quilt recently and had a deep burgundy fabric in it. I tested just that fabric before I washed the quilt and it faded bad. In doing research I found a woman who used dawn platinum dish detergent and soaked her quilt for 12 hours. I put mine in the washing machine used probably 1/4 cup of detergent and cold water. Let the quilt sit overnight. It did fade some from front to the white muslin back around some machine stitching places. I think what happens is that the color fades into the water overnight and so there isn't much to fade into the surrounding material. It salvaged my quilt, but from now on I will test all dark colors ( as I had a piece ruined by a turquoise piece) and get rid of the fabric if it fades. Sorry.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks, gmcsewer, for this information. Thank goodness you salvaged your quilt!
Old 11-05-2016, 02:27 PM

I would for sure prewash all the other fabrics for this quilt, just so you don't end up with the additional problem of any shrinkage.