Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Woven labels to put on your Quilt >

Woven labels to put on your Quilt

Woven labels to put on your Quilt

Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Woven labels to put on your Quilt

I have started making a few commissioned quilts and the clients didn't want 'quilt labels' per say. Had I been thinking, I would have put info on the binding but that's water under the bridge now.

Then I remembered having seen, somewhere, a quilt that the maker had sewn a woven label (think of a label like in clothing) onto the back that had care instructions. (Wash cold, dry flat or tumble low, made by xxx) Great idea I thought!

So off I go on my search for woven labels. I found a couple of online woven label makers/sites who had 'reasonable' prices, but not so great turn around time.

I'm curious - do any of you sew the woven labels onto your quilts/projects? If so, do you know mind sharing your source?

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM

My sister had some fabric labels made with my name stitched into them....they are about 3/4" × 2"....I put them on anything that leaves my house.....since they are small they won't detract from the piecing or quilting, but do remind the quilt owner who made it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 AM

I print mine on fabric sheets. They are small, the size of a clothing label. They have my business name on them, but you could easily print them with whatever you wanted. I cut the sheets into strips, zig zag the edges, and then cut the individual labels apart. It does take a little time, but I can print a sheet whenever I need them. This is what they look like sewn into a seam on a small wallet. On a large quilt, it would not think it would be obtrusive. (I print washing instructions on a separate card as they vary from item to item depending on the materials.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490186[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails qbwallet.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-03-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor and I hand stitch the information into different areas of the quilt such as the binding or a square or block near the bottom of the quilt. Usually using same color thread or slight contrast. Sometimes just into a star or small Dresden blade or the peal of a flower or how many we need. Have also done it on the back with light thread.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Search on Etsy. I love this one...got to get some one day!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1557537...ven-label-this
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM

http://jjlabels.com/

I got some from Jennifer's Jewels and I am really happy with them.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

If you are doing a commissioned quilt, I would first ask your client what they would prefer. They are paying for your services and you should do as they request. One of my friends sent a top to be quilted and that cowboy LAQ that use to be at the shows in the 90s actually signed his name in thread on the front of the quilt. YIKES !!