Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wrinkled fabric

Blog Entries

wrinkled fabric

The last 2 times that I've been to my LQS, the fabric I bought has been wrinkled.
    Even with washing and steam, some of the wrinkles are still noticeable.

Have any of you had this problem?
    Is there a way to get these stubborn wrinkles to disappear?

I know she is finding it difficult to keep her shop open and I like to buy from her whenever possible.
    Last time it was so wrinkled that I just cut out that area...only a small piece but still it irked me that I couldn't use it in my quilt.

Should I mention this to the cutter? If I see these wrinkled areas while she's cutting, should I ask that cut a better piece or would that be nitpicking?

Edited to say that I washed in cold water....would hot water have been a better choice?

Thanks.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Do you still have that piece that you cut out? You can practice on that. Normally, white vinegar will remove the creases. Try a tiny bit in a spray bottle.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Try warm water, the put in dryer but only to damp. Then press with very warm iron. The small amount of water left in the fabric may produce enough steam to draw those wrinkles out.
    You might want to take the fabric and show the owner the issue.

I have found this method works the best. The sizing and chemicals used in making fabric needs to be removed before the wrinkles will come out. Soak and wash dry till damp then press with a hot iron will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    Try warm water, the put in dryer but only to damp. Then press with very warm iron. The small amount of water left in the fabric may produce enough steam to draw those wrinkles out.
    You might want to take the fabric and show the owner the issue.
    Quilt outside of the box!

QKO
    Almost all bolts of fabric have wrinkled sections either at the beginning of the bolt or at the end, usually both.

Sometimes wrinkles run through the bolt, because of sloppy winding or operator issues at the distributor stage where the fabric is doubled and rolled.

So, it's probably not the fault of your shop owner that the fabric is wrinkled.

Blog Entries
    You could also try vodka and water (in a spray bottle--not to drink, lol)
    Bernie

I'm not the one that asked the question but I sure will try these suggestions. I have some I don't think anything will help the wrinkles. Thanks so much guys!

I have found that Best Press of non aerosol Niagara Spray starch will get rid of some of the worst wrinkles.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Thank you all.
    I will try your suggestions.
    I have decided not to mention the problem to my LQS owner. It is not her fault....thank you QKO for reminding me about that.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!