Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
whole cloth quilt question >

whole cloth quilt question

whole cloth quilt question

Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM

Default whole cloth quilt question

I purchased a preprinted whole cloth quilt kit. I was thinking of using a colored thread instead of white. Has anyone seen (or done) a whole cloth with colored thread? I googled images and saw a couple with colored thread, but pics are small and couldn't get a real idea of how it looked. I'm thinking on the one hand the color would really highlight the quilting, on the other hand, white thread would mean any uneven stitches would be less noticeable.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Are you hand quilting or machine quilting? Someone posted an awesome cheater top machine quilted and it was wonderful! I think she used white thread though. The reverse side of the cheater made a beautiful whole cloth quilt. A coloured or variegated thread would be beautiful on the reverse side.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM

I've done a lot of FMQ on solid/wholecloth pieces using contrasting thread and LOVE the effect! I'd recommend that you put together some practice sandwiches of similar fabric and do some test quilting with various threads to help you decide what you like before you start on the quilt.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM

It will be hand quilted
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Whichever you choose it will be beautiful. If have done one, it turned out great, and you get two quilts for one because they are reversible.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM

I have seen some, they're beautiful and interesting. The most recent was at a quilt show in Portland, the quilter used different colors in different sections, it gave the quilt the appearance of being made of pastel fabrics.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM

I am just about to do a crib size wholecloth purchased the pattern and will hand quilt it I am using a very pale lemon fabric back and front and a slightly darker thread - first attempt!!!! I have seen quite a few done in different colours and they always looked stunning so go with what you like is my theory
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM

There are no rules about it...you can use whatever color thread you want. If you use a high contrast color, then the design really stands out, and so will your stitches. If you want to be a bit more subtle use a slightly darker thread.

Janet
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM

thanks to all for your comments. I think I'll go with the colored thread and although the kit came with white fabric for the backing, I'm thinking I'll use a colored fabric, and thread the same color as the backing fabric, then I have a reversible quilt.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Your idea of a colored backing is a good one, but make sure it doesn't shadow through to the front. That would spoil the effect of the white front. Just thinking.
Sue