Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wrist

I have been doing some just learned meandering on a quilt. I love doing it. Problem my wrist is so sore. I had to stop for a while. I am write handed and it is my right wrist. I have a Q foot on my machine. What do you all do for this problem?
    Thanks Shirlx

Try wearing a brace for that wrist. Doing exercises designed for carpal tunnel symptoms will also help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirlx
    I have been doing some just learned meandering on a quilt. I love doing it. Problem my wrist is so sore. I had to stop for a while. I am write handed and it is my right wrist. I have a Q foot on my machine. What do you all do for this problem?
    Thanks Shirlx
    Did you have wrist problems before you started doing meandering quilting? If so, you might want to discuss this with your doctor to make sure your okay to do this kind of work without causing more problems. But if not, and the meandering itself has caused the pain, then it sounds like you're having to drag the quilt too much. I would try a teflon sheet under your quilt to make it glide easier with less strain on your wrist. Also, starching your backing material before sandwiching helps a lot to make it glide along. Another thing, is your sewing surface level, or are you working with your machine on top of a table? When you work on a level surface (your machine is sunk down in the table to make a flat sewing surface) this makes FMQ much, much easier on you and your wrists.

I hope this has helped you some! Good luck!! :D :D

Blog Entries
    Also, try quilting gloves. I found that the made the fabric much easier to handle

Blog Entries
    try wearing gardening gloves (or quilting gloves) they really help a lot

I got a pair of gardening gloves at the Dollar store. I cut off the thumbs and fore-fingers from both hands so I could still thread my needle. I noticed an immediate reduction on the amount of stress not only on my wrists, but my shoulders. I wouldn't go back to FMQ without them if they paid me to.