Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Xmas gifts. >

Xmas gifts.

Xmas gifts.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM

I like to make small handmade items for my grown children's stockings. Last year I made crocheted pot holders in varigated Christmas colors. This year I'm thinking rice bags, grocery bag holders or those cute fabric boxes like in the BOM section(early in the year). Haven't quite decided yet, but better get going!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I'm hoping to get some dishcloths embroidered this year too.
I've made washcloths, just need to get soap for some of them, like my dh's boss,
she loves handmade items from me. I'm running out of ideas for her.
I'll make a shoe bag for my cousin, she travels alot for work.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Hi all,
The first Christmas I had my machine I made Christmas card holders for everyone. For the next Christmas I made Christmas cushions which get trotted out each year (quite happily). This year I'm making some advent calanders which are very popular in in Australia although these will be given on Dec. 1.

I have to say I love Christmas fabrics and I'm hoping to make some more wall quilts to compensate for the fact that I have nowhere to put a Christmas tree. I'd love to see photos of what others have done though.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 PM
QM
Power Poster

I've completed 3 Christmas presents: bed quilts for grands and a crazy quilt for DH (who is wild about it). The crazy quilt took Best Handwork last week. Picture later. I am planning a purse and table topper for friends. I have a very complex lap quilt begun for my DDiL. For another friend I am working on a wall hanging of St Francis' Vision. I started that about 1 1/2 years ago before I got really sick for about a year. Probably potholders and placemats for others. Unfortunately, I have lost enough family and friends that the gift giving is somewhat limited. I have 4 quilts ready to be given to kids in out of home placement and older adults living in low income housing. Most years, I have my Christmas work done by August, so I feel WAY behind. I got the blocks finished for a scrappy quilt today. I have designed a stars and stripes QOV that I hope to get to fairly soon. I know we have many veterans in need of them in my small community. A few years back, I donated some quilts to be given out carefully at the soup kitchen to people in real need of them. One went to a legless Nam vet to keep his stumps warm. He said the horse I'd appliqued on it reminded him of the horse he'd left behind. DH and I got all teary over hearing that.

Last edited by QM; 08-10-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by robinred55 View Post
Hi all,
The first Christmas I had my machine I made Christmas card holders for everyone. For the next Christmas I made Christmas cushions which get trotted out each year (quite happily). This year I'm making some advent calanders which are very popular in in Australia although these will be given on Dec. 1.

I have to say I love Christmas fabrics and I'm hoping to make some more wall quilts to compensate for the fact that I have nowhere to put a Christmas tree. I'd love to see photos of what others have done though.
How do you make Christmas card holders, think they would be great to have.

This year I am thinking of making a wrapping paper bag. It will be a long tube for holding wrapping paper with side pockets for tags, ribbons, tape and scissors. Haven't a pattern so am going to wing it.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 AM

I love making these cute Christmas Tree baubles - here is a YouTube link :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fIGg7MNJ8

Thanks for all other ideas !
Old 08-11-2014, 02:53 AM

I have cut out twelve thread catchers to make for members of my bee. The pattern was on Quilting Forum.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Cathy77,
I use two patterns, Simplicity 2352 and Simplicity 2806. I have made a ton from these patterns, easy to do and with fun print fabrics they come out really cute.
Thanks Jeanne! I'll look into this!

Originally Posted by QM View Post
Most years, I have my Christmas work done by August, so I feel WAY behind.
Wow! You're even more organised than I am! I usually don't start planning before October (but I haven't given any quilts either, so my presents are less time-consuming)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 AM

Have you checked out ideas on Pinterest ? lots of ideas there..:

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/chr...wing-projects/
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 AM

I am making car trash bags for my nieces, a Bible cover for my brother, a casserole carrier for his wife, tote bags for my sister and nice that fit an ipad nicely. In the past, I have done place mats, grocery bags, table runners. Oh and I am making a checkerboard for a friend's son and making the checkers out of medicine bottle caps.