Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done! >

The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done!

The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I would last a month in an RV. I would most likely have forgotten something that I needed. Like the lines from a movie said, "There is NO place like Home". (:
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I know this feeling of moving back into a home. When my children were little hubby was in a road construction crew and we lived for a year in an RV park in Winnemucca, Nv. You have to get very organized to live like that. I made a cathedral window quilt while we were there. (handwork no machine)

I am SO very happy for you. Enjoy your space and the new sewing area.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 06-06-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM

The pioneers quilted by hand in a one room cabin, with dim light at best! No rulers or rotary cutters...
Congrats on your new home! Always good to be able to stretch your wings!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 PM

We live in a 38 foot motorhome and love the life. I sew and cut on my table 36x36. I've made numerous queen and king quilts, purses, makeup cases, and lots of things. Where there is a will there is a way. You'd be surprised what you can do in a small space. I keep fabric under the bed, in numerous closets and in bins in our basement. I do some quilting on queen and smaller items, but send kings out to be quilted. Sometimes I wish I had a big sewing room, but this how we have chosen to live our retirement. I'm glad you're getting the space you want.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 PM

We have a 36' motorhome and a 3,000 sq ft home. 6 months out of the year we are in southern TX in the motorhome avoiding colder weather. The campground where we stay has a craft room and anyone can go there to sew, paint, etc. Very convenient when I need to lay out a design or just to socialize with others. This past year I had the BOM blocks from 2013. I was able to put that top together. It is very possible in motorhome. I have space for my FW (bigger machine would have fit on table just fine). I had covers for the sink and stove which made a good cutting and ironing place. When it was time to put it away for the day or night, I had the blocks pinned to a sheet until I was ready to assemble them - row by row- and this allowed me to just fold up my work and put it in my 'cubbie' until the next day or week. We stayed pretty busy at the park and I found my days went quickly.

I always love getting back to my own sewing room where I can stretch my arms and actually turn around and around.

Congratulations on your move. Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Congrats on moving and all the projects you made. Sounds like you are really happy either place.
When we were first married and my husband was in the AF, we lived in a mobile home for several years. I like living in a house better.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM

We lived in a 5th Wheel trailer for 4 years, and I hated every minute of it. Had to go where the work was and that was all over the country. Retired and finally can stay at home. I will never say we need a bigger house again. Sewwwwwwwwwww glad to be here; and I recognize everything you are talking about. Congrats on being settled
Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 PM

When I start feeling sorry for myself over not having enough space I remind myself that many quilts were made in a one room cabin where everyone in the entire family shared the space. Then I go to my nice warm bathroom and wash my face at the bathroom sink with running water and am very thankful for indoor plumbing and running water.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM

We were full time in our RV for six years before settling for winters in Florida. In the 5 months we still travel in the RV I take two sewing machines and projects that are kitted. That is, they are cut and organized individually. It's doable but I really like my sewing room in Florida best now.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 AM

DH & I had RVs for 30 years. When the economy got so bad we found that RV parks were closing everywhere and/or prices got too high for us. I really miss it. We lived in a 5th wheel trailer for 2+ years and I thought it was great. That's when I really got into quilting. I sewed a lot. My stash was in tubs under one end of the table, and the other end is where I sat to sew. I was able to use the park's rec room to sandwich quilts, and I pieced and machine quilted 1 king and 3 queen quilts, as well as several baby quilts. So much fun and fond memories!