Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done! >

The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done!

The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Default The Year of the RV and the sewing that actually got done!

We moved into our RV last year thinking my husband was going to be transferred to Louisiana. The company got sold, the property got sold, he did keep his job and we're finally moving into a townhouse. I can't even tell you how happy I'm going to be to have a garage, dishwasher, bathtub, ice-maker in the fridge, decent internet and my whole house won't shake when the washer is in the spin cycle. And room to really stretch out and sew again.
It's been an adventure. And I'm amazed at how much sewing I did get done this year!

A burlap and lace aisle runner and 6 table runners for my sons wedding.
Tweaked my Puppy quilt and made 2 of him.
Tested my Piglet quilt 3 times.
Finished my dil's T-Shirt quilt.
Started and finished my sons military quilt.
Completed and quilted my son's gf's graduation quilt.

So while I can't wait for the move this weekend and to be able to set up my sewing room again, I want to encourage those of you with little to no sewing space. We have a big RV, but it's still an RV. Amazing what you can get done on the dining room table, isn't it?

It's been a ride!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-04-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: no selling in Main
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Congratulations on your husband keep his job. That must be a real relief. I saw a TV segment once on a woman whose husband was an over-road truck driver and she went with him on trips. She had the sleeping quarters of the semi outfitted with her sewing. She obviously didn't use the machine as they were going down the road but did when they would stop for the night. It was amazing how much they packed into a small space. Sometime you just "gotta do what you gotta do". Be proud that you accomplished so much and didn't let a difficult situation get in the way of joy.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM

Oh my! My husband would love to live in an RV and go.... go..... go. Not Me!! I'm a nester. So, I'm very happy for you, getting to be in a solid spot for awhile. And, I agree..... you can do whatever you put your mind to. You're living proof of that, aren't you.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Many times we get more done under difficult circumstances than we would having everything we need where we need it! You did great finishing so many projects. Enjoy your new sewing room!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Before i got a large sewing room I made a whole lot of quilts on my dining table. Quilted them too. With my sewing room I am able to keep my dining room much neater. I have always lived in a small home, donate whatever I need to to keep the place rid of clutter.
I would not like to live in an RV, no matter how big.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM

One question....What's a dining room table? The wooden rectangular thingy is my sewing table/junk collection area. Can't remember when (if?) it was ever used for dining! LOL

DH and I are talking about eventually buying an RV and "traveling" for 6 months of the year...hopefully I'll find a nook for my machine.

Good luck and congrats on your move!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 PM

I would like to try living in an RV. But I'm thinking the limited amount of space would get to me, and the bigger the RV, the more difficult it is to drive. My husband has no interest in RVs, so it's not likely to happen. I have been beginning to realize that less really is more, and the wisdom of getting rid of stuff/clutter, so an RV would be a good test for living with a lot less.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 AM

I use one of our spare bedrooms for a quilting room (for storage, design and piecing) but still quilt on the dining room table. Thinking of getting a Tiara, which will fit in the sewing room, as the throat area I have on my largest machine is 6 1/2" & am finally getting better at FMQing.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM

For 8 years now we have left cold Illinois for the warmer South each January for at least 2 months.. Usually I can make one queen quilt and various purses/table toppers, but last year we were in a boring place and I made 3 laps and 2 Queen quilts, just the pieced tops. I have everything I need with me and I love my quilting in my little camper (30"). Glad to hear you were able to sew too.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on being able to move out of your RV into a townhouse where you will have more room for sewing; although I'm impressed with the amount of quilting that you got done in the RV. As they say, where there's a will, there's a way. Now you can use that big RV to take a road trip some time. I'd often thought it would be nice to have an RV and travel all over the country, but that is a dream I'll never fulfill, especially now that I'm the only driver. Maybe when I was 20 years younger I might have done it, but not now at 68 and health issues. Congratulations too on your husband being able to keep his job, as that isn't always the case now. Enjoy your new life in Louisiana, although you might miss your mountains.